Grey Lady (Cisco Brewers) out of Nantucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redspy

Reaction score
It's a local beer(for me). I'm looking for an all grain recipe, preferably 5 gallon batch but will take anything if someone has something close. This beer is delicious and I'd like to get it brewed!

Thanks in advance!

Yeah I'll second that. I was out there visiting the in laws and loved all the Cisco beers I had. I live in Utah so no chance getting it here. I was thinking I would email the brewer, if I hear back I will post it here.

Sorry it took so long, I emailed Cisco and got a reply from the head brewer. He did not give specifics but said that Grey Lady was a wheat based beer with Chamomile, Coriander, and citrus used in the boil. He also recommended reading "brewing with wheat" by Stan Hieronymus. I will probably start putting together a recipe for this spring.

I've actually picked up those ingredients in preparation for trying this myself. Through some research I found clove is used also. But if he said only those 2 he obviously knows better. Very interested to hear how you make out. I will post also if I come up with something.

I have been looking to make a batch of this myself. Did either of you come up with a promising recipe?

I have put together a rough recipe based on the limited info the brewer emailed me. What made me really enjoy this beer was the subtle, almost unnamable flavor of the spices. I am still pondering how much citrus, the brewer did not mention specifics I initially thought I tasted a bit of lemon, but realize there may have been bitter orange. I am also not set on the amounts of other spices. I have to rely on memory being that I cannot get my hands on any here in Utah.

5# Belgian oils
4# wheat malt
1# flaked wheat

Mash at
140-151

1oz. Hallertauer 60 min
.5oz Saaz 20 min
.5oz Saaz 5 min

.5 oz bitter orange peel 10min
2 tsp crushed coriander seed 5 min
.5 oz bitter orange peel 1 min
Zest of 1 lemon 1 min
2-4 grams chamomile flowers

Wyeast Forbidden Fruit

Will probably scale this down and brew a small test batch very soon.

So it took a bit longer to get to this brew than I thought, and being all the way out in Utah I decided it would be tough to truly clone the brew since I only had a couple pints. The batch I brewed was inspired by Grey Lady. I mainly wanted to test out the citrus, coriander, and chamomile before tweaking. I did the following 2 1/2 weeks ago:

5# pale 2 row
5# German wheat malt
.5# flaked wheat

Mashed:
122f for 15 min
152f for 60 min

1 oz Hallertauer 60 min
.5 oz Saaz 10 min
1 tsp coriander seed 10 min
.5 oz Saaz 1 min
Peel of 1/2 lemon and 1 orange 1 min
2 grams chamomile flowers 1 min

IBUs: approx 20

I ended up using White Labs American Farmhouse blend because I had it and it sounded good, though I am sure Cisco uses something else.

Transferred to secondary today and had a sample. It definitely reminded me of the Grey Lady I had last summer. Just a hint if the spices could use less lemon maybe more orange. However those flavored may change once it has been bottled, carbonated and chilled.

Sorry I never posted a final response after bottling, etc. I brewed the recipe as I posted earlier. To me it seemed to be in the spirit of Grey Lady but nowhere near being a clone. I will likely brew it again and make the following changes: For the first batch I went with 2g of Chamomile, I would increase it to 3 or 4. If I was really concerned with cloning Grey Lady I would choose a different yeast, I liked the results with the yeast I originally used, but I think it overwhelmed some of the delicate flavors of the chamomile and coriander. After the beer was bottled and carbonated, the citrusy aromas/flavors had really faded. The citrus/lemon flavor I noticed in the original Grey Lady was what I enjoyed most about the beer, so I would think about different ways to get that quality without adding more lemon/orange zest. Maybe a hop with those qualities? Or maybe with a different yeast and increased chamomile and coriander it would taste more like I remembered. Hope this helps, I can't believe this is the only thread about this particular beer. If you have tried a batch I would be curious to know what you have done or been thinking. I will try to be better about replying to the forum.

Here's my attempt today. Boosted the grain bill to get it close to 6%. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1394646702.800782.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

How did it turn out, and how did it compare to the real thing?

Would you mind posting exactly what you did?

Thanks.

Latest posts

Back