Greetings from the North Country

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbartow

Reaction score
Hello from the Northern New York State. I have been brewing for three years. I transitioned from extract to all grain last year and have been building my home brewery with home made gadgets. My latest batch was a Burton Ale. My next batch will be "Brewpastor's" Dark Night of the Russian Soul Imperial Stout. It has a hefty grain bill and I'm looking forward to getting it going.

Happy Brewing!

Hello from the Northern New York State. I have been brewing for three years. I transitioned from extract to all grain last year and have been building my home brewery with home made gadgets. My latest batch was a Burton Ale. My next batch will be "Brewpastor's" Dark Night of the Russian Soul Imperial Stout. It has a hefty grain bill and I'm looking forward to getting it going.

Happy Brewing!

Haha, I clicked on your post because I was curious if you were from the "real" North Country. :D Apparently the Northern regions of NH and MN are also known as the North Countries as well and are clearly impostors!

I grew up outside of Watertown....where are you at?

Welcome!

Broadbill - I am located in Evans Mills just North of Watertown. I am a transplant, moved here in 2001. I grew up outside of Buffalo, went to college in Potsdam, then spent 20 years in the Army. While I live in Evans Mills, I spend a good part of year in the Central Adirondacks at Raquette Lake. My Cousins and I brew on the dock on the waterfront. Next year we will be building a Brew Shack up behind camp.

It is pretty cool to see someone else from the north country active in the brewing process. I'm currently in Potsdam...does anyone know of a good supply spot or do I need to go 100% online?

It is pretty cool to see someone else from the north country active in the brewing process. I'm currently in Potsdam...does anyone know of a good supply spot or do I need to go 100% online?
Unfortunately the homebrew supply shops I have come across up here are limited, and a little pricey. There is a supplier in Watertown called the Winemaker. They are located on Court Street just off Public Square. They started off primarily as a wine making shop, but they have been steadily improving their inventory of brew supplies. I believe your best bet is online. I use Northern Brewer, Midwest Supplies, and More Beer. They all have different shipping policies and depending on the amount you are buying you may choose one over the other. I'm not sure where you are at in brewing, however if you ever want to buy in bulk, North Country Malt Supply is located in Champlain, NY... about 2 hours from you. They are a Malt and Hops wholesaler that supplies breweries, however they do sell to homebrewers as long as you call ahead. The savings can be remarkable. a 55lb bag of 2 Row Pale Malt from a homebrew shop usually cost about $60 or more. Buying direct from North Country the same bag is less than $40. Some of the big online places sell the malt close to the same price as North Country, but you have to pay a hefty freight charge. In any event, for most of your needs I would stick to the online places for affordability. Are there any shops in the Potsdam area?

Nothing in the Potsdam area, and I've actually been looking a lot at morebeer.com, but their shipping rates are almost $10 more than another site I found, brew gadgets.com

I will probably look at norther brewer and the others ppl have suggested for my next order.

Are you still in the Evans Mills area or are you the guy that opened Raquette Brewing company? I'm about 5 miles out of Evans Mills now and have been to the Winemaker. I've browsed ingredients online but the shipping was equal or greater than the cost of the stuff that I was looking at. Is the store in Syracuse any good? I have no problem driving there with a list and getting everything for the next 2 months in one trip.

Latest posts

Back