Greetings from the beach of NC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chilkoot

Reaction score
Hi,

I've never brewed beer before, nor do I have the space or resources to. For now, I'll be lurking here trying to soak up all the knowledge I can in preparation for when I move into my loft this summer and finally have my own space to do with as I please.

This loft has a laundry room with washer and dryer hookups located right next to the kitchen, the doors are about 6 feet from the edge of the counter. This will be my brew closet, complete with rolling kitchen cart to transport carboys to said closet. The water lines and drain pipe will be a huge plus, I'm sure I'll find a use for them. My future next-door neighbor has already agreed to throw in halves on 5gal batches with me, so ideally after I get my feet wet I'll have a new batch coming out every 2 weeks or so and I'll get to try many different recipes and techniques. My main concern is reproducability, so I've decided that I will be heavily documenting each batch with a series of excel spreadsheets for eventual use in a business plan (see below).

I have a little bit of disposable income, and I like nifty gadgets. I also like making nifty gadgets as opposed to buying them, if possible. I was something of an airsmith when I still played paintball and am no stranger to dremels, drills, taps, solenoids, pneumatic assemblies and properly-sealed lines. Hopefully I'll be able to contribute something to the site in this respect as well. A pnuematic auto-capper would make for a fun weekend project.

A long ways down the road, if this turns out to be a hobby I become passionate about I think it would be interesting to open a Brewpub/Diner where the only beer on draught is brewed on-site. I'm only 21 with no student loans and good credit, so this seems like a feasable goal.

-Adam

Welcome aboard, what beach is it in NC that you hail from?

Welcome to HBT! :mug:

You might be surprised to find out that you might have the space to do some home brewing. Do some research and ask some questions. We will get you brewing (and addicted) in no time!

i have roommates, two dogs and a cat in the house, in the loft I'll only have one (mildly active) 60lb GSD.

I'm too preoccupied with fixing my car at the moment, which I promised myself would be done before I moved.

Chilkoot said:
i have roommates, two dogs and a cat in the house, in the loft I'll only have one (mildly active) 60lb GSD.

I'm too preoccupied with fixing my car at the moment, which I promised myself would be done before I moved.
You probably don't even need to look at supplies and "hardware", but if you need a local homebrew supply you might want to take a look at Lumina Winery on Gordon Rd. The owner, Dave, is a pretty good guy, and they stock a decent amount of stuff. Dave is also good about getting special order items in at a decent price, if you're patient enough to wait a week or two for his next palette from the distributors. There's also a new homebrew club starting up that Lumina Winery is helping out with, along with Azalea Coast Brewing, out in Northchase.

You'll find that NC is well represented here on HBT, and the greater Wilmington area has a few members hanging out here regularly.

Matt

that's excellent news, both about Lumina and about the Wilmington members. I look forward to being a contributing member.

Have there been many meetings between the NC members to try each other's brews?

I just checked out Lumina's website, $60 for a full kit and $20-$30 for the ingredients...I might just get started sooner than I thought. Any recommandations from their stock for a good first brew? That cherry one looks delicious

thanks to all for the encouragement.

To the addiction. I have to agree that Dave is a good guy. You can also try American Brewmaster in Raleigh, as they have better selections and a great webpage.

On a second note to all the eastern NC brewers. Keep an eye out for the Front Street Brewery's home brew contest. Front Street is a great place downtown Wilmingotn. Kevin, the brewmaster there, told me that they may be doing one, and the winner gets to brew the winning recipe on their big system, and FSB will enter the winner into the GABF pro-am competition. I'm waiting on details.

Hi there,

A little late on the welcome, but welcome nonetheless. By now I'm sure you've gotten started and have most of your equipment, but either way welcome to the hobby. As for clubs, you have to come check out a meeting of the Wort City Brewers. There currently are around a dozen of us who are members along with about thirty or so who just kind of randomly show up for events. We're growing pretty rapidly and even have discount agreements with Noni Bacca, the other LHBS. We get together at least once a month for a meeting, and sometimes more for group brews, cookouts, competitions, etc...

If you want to learn to brew great beer, there's no better place. If you already know how to brew, you can come show off your hard work or learn to improve. Either way, PM me and I will be more than happy to give you the information to meet up with us or join the email list for upcoming events.

Cheers,
Billy

Back