Greetings from Pennsyltucky!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LBF

Reaction score
:tank:

I'm now in my third year of homebrewing and just stepped up to doing all grain this year, but let me back up for a minute... I had an interest in trying my hand at homebrewing for quite some time, but had trouble justifying the cost to get started. That all changed a few years ago when my brother bought me all of the equipment to get started for Christmas. Deluxe Brewer's Best kit, two cases of bombers, two cases of 12 ounce bottles and a BB Chocolate Milk Stout extract kit, which we promptly brewed before he went back home. That was the first and last kit I brewed where I followed the instructions. Brewed a few more kits but changed things, then got into making my own recipes and partial mashing via BIAB. My brew days got pretty intense towards the end of things, it was taking me roughly 8-9 hours plus clean-up and as a result, I didn't brew much last year.

For this past Christmas, my brother got me an Edelmetall Bru Burner and that kicked things off again. I promptly bought a 15 gallon Spike Brewing SS kettle, copper counterflow chiller, and a pair of coolers that I converted to mash tun and hot water tank. This move brought me into all-grain and the ability to brew 10-11 gallon batches. To my everlasting joy, it also brought my brew days down to 4-5 hours including clean-up.

I guess I should say a few words about myself aside from brewing... I'm a self-employed contractor (third generation family owned business). I've learned enough to literally build a house from clearing the ground to trimming out the interior. Matter of fact the house I'm living in now was built by myself and my father. Along the way I've also picked up learning locksmithing, welding, auto mechanics, auto body, photography, computer technology (built two computers and repaired two so far, plus built a couple websites), general electrical, and became a published author, to name a few things.

What a great brother!

Welcome to the group, from CO :mug:

Sounds to me like you have a future with an electrically controlled brew stand.

What a great brother!

Welcome to the group, from CO :mug:

Sounds to me like you have a future with an electrically controlled brew stand.
Yea, I do have a pretty awesome brother. We never really got along as kids, but we found common ground in good beer. He's not really interested in making it himself but that's ok, we both like drinking good beer and I don't mind trying to make good beer.

Thanks for the welcome!

Matter of fact... I've started thinking of how I would want to build a custom electrically controlled brew stand. Haven't gotten really serious about it yet, it will probably come about after I move to kegging and that probably isn't going to happen until next year. But it's on the list. For now, when I brew, I build my self-termed "redneck brew sculpture" in the back of my work truck. I throw a scaffold plank up on the ladder rack and put a stool on top of that. Up on the stool goes the hot water tank, the mash tun on the scaffold plank, the burner and kettle sit in the bed, the chiller on the tailgate and the fermenters behind the truck. Gravity flow all the way once I hump the MT and HWT up on the top level.

Back