Greetings from Nova Scotia

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grasshopper1917

Reaction score
How rude of me - I started posting on the main forum without introducing myself. Im a 31 year old rookie from Nova Scotia Canada. I have actually completed my first batch and am working on number 2. I tested my first homebrew last night after being bottled for about 10 days (I know you should let it sit longer but I had to sample one). It was very tasty - last time I tried homebrew was about 6 years ago and it wasnt very good - looks like it has come a long way.

I made an IPA it is pretty bitter righn now but I think after a while in the bottle it will mellow out slightly - which will be just fine. I am happy with the taste for a first try - and trust me im sure i made many mistakes and have learned alot from my first couple of batches. Anyway happy to be aboard - im just trying to figure out what is more fun - making the beer or drinking it???? :)

Cheers

Welcome fellow Canuck! Always great to see more Canadians, there has been a lot of us joining lately. You managed to wait a lot longer than I did to try that first bottle of your first batch. ;)

Edit: Oh in answer to your question; yes. :D

Another Canuck joins the ranks -- glad you found us, eh!

So what kind of kits are you brewing? Just curious.

Are you a Noble Grape customer? They seem big out east. I wish we had one of their stores here in Calgary!

Anyways, welcome to the community!

Yes that is where I purchased my kit - the noble grape. They are a pretty good bunch up there. The first beer I made was a Coopers India Pale Ale kit. I mixed it with an 'add a beer' kit that they make fresh at the noble grape (Think it is malt extract and some sugar all sypupy). Tossed it in the fermentor with some boiling water mixed er up - topped up with spring water added yeast and we were off and running.

For my second kit I tried 'brewmakers Irish stout' I used a big pot and boiled the kit with a container of Dark malt extract and about 1 cuppa brown sugar (I read it is better to boil the ingredients). I also had my first boil over - although it was a fairly small one - was big enough to make the girlfriend complain. The Stout is now in the secondary I was a little worried about the gravity readings though - started at 1045 and when i racked to secondary was only down to 1018 - i hoped it would end up about 1011 or 1012 but now id be very happy with 1013 -1014 - there is very little activity in the airlock but im gettin the od bubble hope the yeast i still working a bit.

Learning with every batch - im having alot of fun :)

Welcome aboard. Now we have Bluenosers, Herring Chokers and Newfys on the forum. I am fairly new as well with just two batches to my credit. Now, where are the Spud Islanders?:mug:

Nova Scotia, eh? Let me look up where that is on a map. Maybe us Americans can take it over next....

Oh wait.. it's a part of Canada. Nevermind. :(

Latest posts

Back