Greetings from Northern Virginia

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EricBoyers

Reaction score
I've been wanting to do this for years, brew my own beer that is, and I've finally ordered a starter kit from midwest. It should be here on Saturday. I also ordered a recipe kit of Irish Ale (extract) to try as my first batch. Wish me luck!

I would like to get to the point where I can add a couple more carboys and have a continuous supply of my own beer and never have to buy commercial beer again (unless I'm trying out a microbrew here and there).

Thanks for the valuable resource.

welcome to the hobby!

I grew up in Great Falls, how are you holding up against all that NOVA traffic???

btw - I would ditch the "only drink homebrew" idea. You'll find yourself buying more craft brew than ever, just to taste what certain styles and ingredients do in a beer....and to compare yourself to the big boys.

welcome! check out some of the local clubs as well... depends where u live in nova, but the worthogs is active, as is the dchomebrew group. also, midwest is a good source, just dont forget the locals! Mylhbs is in 7 corners

Welcome neighbor! In addition to myLHBS, Jay's brewing is in Clifton. I'm looking to join a local group!

There are several groups in the NoVA area that meet semi regularly. The biggest is probably BURP. I started another one this past summer for those that are a little more west of traditional NoVA (Gainesville/Warrenton area). We are a Meetup.com group called Virginia Homebrewers.

Good to see another Virginian in the fold. I remember my first batch, just two years ago. I made an American Pale Ale from an extract kit I bought at the local homebrew store here in Winchester. Before that first brew I read some books and thought I had it all figured out. I was confident things would go smoothly. They didn't. That's because it was all new to me. Several times I had to stop and figure out what to do next, or how to do it. But the beer turned out okay, and I was encouraged to keep brewing. My advice to you is to enjoy that first brew, get the significant other involved if possible, and don't worry if things don't go swimmingly the first time. There's an oft-repeated saying here, "Relax, don't worry, have a home brew!", usually abbreviated RDWHAHB.

Thanks for all the kind words. I'll be in Winchester on Wednesday. Are there any home brew stores there?

Too late on this note, but in case you're in Winchester regularly....Murphy Beverage is down on the Old Town Mall. Nice folks and great craft beer stock, but a pretty small selection of homebrew stuff. A few kits and some standard gear, but don't go in expecting to be able to work out a full grain bill. http://www.murphybeverage.com/

cheers from another noob in DC

Latest posts

Back