Green taste?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nos33

Reaction score
So I have my 5th batch in primary. Been there for a month or so. Just a quick question. For my first couple batches I took gravity readings and used that to tell me when they were ready for bottles but when I did bottle them, They still had kind of that "green" flavor to them.

This batch I have in primary right now, as time goes by that "green" flavor is going away.

I know patience is a virtue that is why it is not in bottles yet, and my FG is 1.009 so i know i can safely bottle without bombs.

Is it wise to let the "green" flavor go away before bottling or is it better to let those flavors go away during bottle conditioning?

I don't think there's a complete consensus on bottle vs. bulk conditioning, but both will drop out the greenness. Suspended yeast is probably the primary cause of green taste. Likewise, when you first bottle, your beer will go a bit green again as the yeast comes out of dormancy. I tend to be of the "less carboy, more bottle" camp, but it's hard to provide a clear set of rules describing when a beer is ready to bottle. Likewise, the tendency is to recommend longer times to new brewers who haven't yet developed the ability to know by taste, just to be safe.

Some of my beers sit in the carboy for 2 weeks, some for 6. I tend to wait a month or so after bottling before I crack the first one, and then I'll drink the rest quickly or slowly based on whether or not it tastes ready. If that first bottle still tastes green, I'll wait another week or so before trying another. If it's good, then it goes into the fridge. Don't forget to let your beers chill for at least a couple of days before drinking them, too. That will crash out a lot of the green.

I like my beers to condition in the bottle or keg. Don't have a reason other than I don't like the carboys to be tied up for too long.

Back