Green beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scout001

Reaction score
I live in Colorado and now that MJ is legal for recreational use, is there any application in homebrewz?

Be careful you dont tell on yourself..:)

Sent from my SGH-T699 using Home Brew mobile app

There are many stories about "greenified" beer. I would think since the seeds have the most oil per volume, the seeds should be cracked into some cheap vodka to extract the oil therein. At $300.00 an ounce, beer would be a terrible waste of good weed. Um, I ,um, meant medical marijuana. ;)

Interesting...a green grist. Would the oil survive the boil? How about "dry hopping" a couple of buds?

Given that heat is needed as an activator, unless your just going for flavor, dry hopping wouldn't work. If I were to run suck an experiment I would say stick it in a hop back. My concern at that point is what fermentation would take out of it.

Considering THC is fat soluble I don't think you'd actually extract any of the "goodness". You might get some flavor or aroma

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Dug up a bit of info on medicinal herb extraction and and has a few techniques for THC extraction for baking, she uses mostly leaves but you can use buds too. Now, one of them is for butter, which wouldn't be useful here at all, the oil i'm a bit dubious of its usefulness to, think the best way would be a simple alcohol infusion.

Best part of that is you can use any kind of alcohol you like. If I was doing it I'd probably chop or grind what i'm putting in there, give it a couple days in a mason jar with some booze in, pick your poison, and strain it out really well then after I'd probably look for a safe and easy way to evaporate a bit of the booze off, esp if i was just goin with something like vodka. For oil extraction I've heard of using alcohol and boiling down until you're left with just the oil but they stress to never use gas stoves or open flame and to only have it at a very low boil. Both those make me a little nervous, i'd probably just put it on super low heat on an electric for awhile or better still, screw a piece of cloth in place of a lid on my mason jar and put it out in the sun.

Like others mentioned, not sure what ferment would do to it and if I was doin it i'd want the most bang for my buck so I'd probably wait until after fermentation and drop it in. If you prepare it sometime near the brew day you'd probably have plenty of time to slow-evaporate it like that.

Hope some of this could help and TELL US HOW IT COMES OUT!!! I'd really like to experiment with a single gal batch someday

I was hoping this was a thread about making a beer green in color. I'll be leaving now.

Interesting responses. Was just curious what people would come up with. I dont use personally, but I was thinking how to brew with it. Might be a mild surprise as far as aroma and flavors.

O'Fallan (?) has a hemp beer out, think it was supposed to be an amber.

Either way, the 6 pack I had was a butter bomb - it takes a lot for me to dump a beer out, and I fought the whole way through that 6 pack. Honestly, if that's what hemp brings to beer I'd skip it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back