Green Beer Flavors cause of bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clintjl

Reaction score
I've noticed after bottling several of my beers they tend to have off flavors that eventually fade out. While I know this is normal and expect it, I've also noticed that I don't seem to taste these flavors prior to bottling. I always taste my beer when transferring from primary to secondary and secondary to bottling bucket and at the time they seem to be good enough to drink if they were cold and carbonated, however a week or so after bottling when my beer is carbonated it seems to have picked up some harsh flavors in the process of conditioning. I guess what I'm wondering is what is causes these flavors in bottle conditioning and are they not a problem if I were to keg my beer?

I see the exact same effect your're describing, especially since I started doing longer primaries (3-4 weeks). I don't know for sure, but here's one possible explanation ... When you add priming sugar and begin to bottle condition, you're starting another mini-fermentation. Maybe the yeast just need some time to clean up again. Since I don't keg I can't do a side-by-side comparison.

Latest posts

Back