Greater New Orleans Visitor's Guide

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Enjoy man! Best month here, and the weather has been great. Cool and dry for NOLA. If anyone wants specific recs on anything, feel free to ask. I am from here, and my family was in tourism related business for nearly 30 years.
Well now that you've said that...

Again, never been to NOLA. I like eating and drinking well. I know I could never hit every place - but if there's a cluster of eating/drinking/music spots that are relatively casual and low-key, I'd love to hear about them. I know I have a list going already but I'll be in a large group - options are good!

I also like activities that are not focused on eating/drinking. The finance wants to see some swamps (I mean... I guess I could be interested in that, as well?).

And if you were going to send someone to one place for beignets, where would that be?

Well now that you've said that...

Again, never been to NOLA. I like eating and drinking well. I know I could never hit every place - but if there's a cluster of eating/drinking/music spots that are relatively casual and low-key, I'd love to hear about them. I know I have a list going already but I'll be in a large group - options are good!

I also like activities that are not focused on eating/drinking. The finance wants to see some swamps (I mean... I guess I could be interested in that, as well?).

And if you were going to send someone to one place for beignets, where would that be?

Just go to the OG cafe du mond downtown if you want beignets.

You can also book a "swamp tour" in any of the local visitors centers, they can set up transportation and everything.

For clustered music/etc just go to Frenchman street or make your way to the hi-ho/Siberia area off st. Claude ave. You may want to make sure there are events before you hit st Claude though. Oak st or Freret st are other options spread around town that usually have things going on.

Noma is a nice place with some great art that is close to the streetcar, 2nd line brewery, my favorite restaurant in town, and an area called Faubourg St John that has a bit of food/wine/stuff to do on esplanade ave. You could also rent a kayak and take a few hours rowing down bayou st John from around there. Mid city has some cool stuff.

Just go to the OG cafe du mond downtown if you want beignets.

You can also book a "swamp tour" in any of the local visitors centers, they can set up transportation and everything.

For clustered music/etc just go to Frenchman street or make your way to the hi-ho/Siberia area off st. Claude ave. You may want to make sure there are events before you hit st Claude though. Oak st or Freret st are other options spread around town that usually have things going on.

Noma is a nice place with some great art that is close to the streetcar, 2nd line brewery, my favorite restaurant in town, and an area called Faubourg St John that has a bit of food/wine/stuff to do on esplanade ave. You could also rent a kayak and take a few hours rowing down bayou st John from around there. Mid city has some cool stuff.

Jacques-Imo's and Maple Leaf is a great combo, but you will wait at Jacques. Frenchman area does have music basically all the time. I'd recommend eating in the French Quarter, walking around, then hitting Frenchman.

Cafe du Monde in the Quarter is definitely the beignet spot. They are open 24 hours.

If you're in/around the French Quarter, Cochon and Cafe Sbisa were two highlight meals from my trip. If you get stuck on Bourbon Street, Beerfest had a nice selection. Since it's better beer, it was quieter than the rest of the spots but the place was still grimey as ****.

Basically, if you have a bad meal in New Orleans it's your own damn fault.
giphy.gif

Flying out to the city tomorrow afternoon with my lady. First time back since I was there 4 months post-Katrina...can't wait to see how the city has changed.

Staying right off St. Charles near Cooter Brown's. Any rec's for coffee around that area? nophunk

This thread has been super ****ing helpful...thanks y'all.

Any rec's for coffee around that area? nophunk

We have a really amazing shop called Mammoth. It's in the CBD a few minutes away from where you'll be. If you want to stay closer, Hi Volt or Cherry are good options. Mammoth is the best though, amazing shop, great attention to detail on everything.

And you'll definitely be super surprised to see New Orleans now. It was pretty sad the whole first year and more after Katrina. Now, it looks like the vibrant city it is again.

We have a really amazing shop called Mammoth. It's in the CBD a few minutes away from where you'll be. If you want to stay closer, Hi Volt or Cherry are good options. Mammoth is the best though, amazing shop, great attention to detail on everything.

And you'll definitely be super surprised to see New Orleans now. It was pretty sad the whole first year and more after Katrina. Now, it looks like the vibrant city it is again.

Thanks!

Jacques-Imo's and Maple Leaf is a great combo, but you will wait at Jacques. Frenchman area does have music basically all the time. I'd recommend eating in the French Quarter, walking around, then hitting Frenchman.

Cafe du Monde in the Quarter is definitely the beignet spot. They are open 24 hours.
Jacques Imos will do reservations for parties of 5 or more.

Also I still love hitting Port of Call for a burger and huge sugary tiki drink to-go before heading over to Frenchman.

Much obliged for all the NOLA recommendations. As I had feared, traveling in a group of 10 made it difficult to hit everything I wanted but I did pretty well just the same.

Definitely did not know what to expect really before getting there - New Orleans is a hell of a city. Not sure how anyone lives there year-round since 5 days was more than enough for me (specifically my liver). I suspect the solution is to avoid the entire French Quarter like the plague. We only spent one night on Frenchmen Street (and a short one, at that). When we go back, I'd definitely do a smaller group and focus more on dining/drinking options throughout the city and Frenchmen St. I think I'll be okay if I never spend another evening in the Quarter. Central Business District was an okay place to stay. Tons of great dining/drinking near our AirBnb but I didn't enjoy trying to call Ubers/Lyfts all the time to get us back and forth.

Specific favorites:
d.b.a -- I really, really liked it but got my group there in between sets. Everyone lost interest and wandered to an open air market. By the time they returned, there was a $10 cover and they balked. My finance and I never left and enjoyed Little Freddie King for a while. Their $8 shot/beer combo of Jim Beam Black and Founder's Gold was nice - probably too nice and it's good that the finance dragged me away before things took too much of a turn.

Cochon BUTCHER -- couldn't make Cochon work but grabbed a backon melt and mac and cheese on Sunday morning. It was exactly what I needed after drinking up and down Bourbon Street. Nearly went back on Monday for lunch but opted instead for Josephine Estelle in the Ace hotel.

Mammoth Espresso -- steps from our AirBnb, we went there almost every morning. Great coffee. Good breakfast tacos (unless you got them straight from the cooler - in which case, not so much).

Tiki Tolteca -- very dead (it was a Sunday night) but we didn't mind. Finally had a decent hurricane (great deal for $8). I would definitely return (even if it is on the edge of the Quarter).

Pelican Club -- we stopped in the bar for drinks while waiting for a table at Green Goddess. Lindsey was a great bartender and knew her ****. She had tons of great suggestions for bourbon bars (she also recommended Tiki Tolteca). Green Goddess was also very, very good and made our vegetarian friends very, very happy.

Urban South -- I wish we could have spent more time there. The food truck that was supposed to show up was caught up in hellish traffic and we were starving. Enjoyed a flight and a pint but then we walked over to Stein's (which was great and I'm glad we were able to eat there). Two of our friends joined us and they were less than enthused to go all the way to New Orleans and eat at Jewish deli. I didn't mind - good food is good food.

Plenty of other things, too -- beignets at Cafe du Monde (tasty enough but I'll take an old fashioned any day); streetcars (very loud!); the WWII museum (a little too 'rah rah USA USA' for my taste); swamp tour (took us longer to get there and back as the tour itself but still enjoyed it; did not expect people to fawn over raccoons so much but whatever); hand grenades from Tropical Isle and voodoo daiquiris from Lafitte's (never again, on both accounts); walk through a cemetery (I was a little thrown off by everyone drinking while they walked around - I wouldn't say I'm a prude but people are buried there, and some pretty recently, too); and probably more that I'm forgetting.

Had an absolutely amazing time with the lady over the past weekend as it looks like dan and libbey did as well.

Favorite food experiences were the broiled shrimp at Lula Distillery(down the street from Avenue Pub), firecracker shrimp poboy at Parasols, charbroiled oysters at Basin Seafood, and the spread of Polish food at Siberia Lounge.

Drank a ton of Urban South Holy Roller and Gnarly Barley Jucifer. Was pretty surprised how much haze there was around town even at regular bars. The draft list at Courtyard Brewery was absolutely bangin...leftovers from their anniversary party including some really nice guest taps. Brieux Carre also had some sneaky good beers if you're over on Frenchmen.

Nothing was better than the music though. Maple Leaf and Spotted Cat were amazing. My girl was slightly obsessed with meeting Kermit(we're big Treme fans), so we hung out at his spot a couple times, got smoked out, and marched in a 2nd line down the streets in front.

Outside of drinking/eating, go for a run around Audubon Park and check out the Tree of Life if you're staying around there. We also had a nice tour of St. Louis Cemetery #1 from Free Tours by Foot which is a pay what you think it's worth tour.

Not sure when we'll be back, but I have a feeling it will be sooner rather than later.

My wife and I are going to be in NOLA from the 16th to the 19th. We have a wedding that Friday, but otherwise have zero plans. We're staying in the Bywater, I believe, but are open to other places in the city. We've both been there before, so no need to hit some of the more tourist-y stuff, but wouldn't mind some deeper cuts (or just extremely solid places).

We love to: eat; drink; walk around cool areas. My wife, in particular, loves old cemeteries. We haven't been in a couple of years and it looks like the beer landscape has changed significantly since then. Anywhere we should really try to hit, beer or otherwise?

We definitely preferred Frenchman St. over Bourbon for evenings and music, but anywhere in particular we should check out for venues/clubs? Thanks!

bramsdell if you’re staying in the bywater, you’ll be really close to Parleaux. They are worth checking out for sure. There’s no new breweries that are an absolute must imo. Spotted Cat is a cool venue on Frenchman. There’s a large concentration in those few blocks, most have something decent going on.

My wife and I are going to be in NOLA from the 16th to the 19th. We have a wedding that Friday, but otherwise have zero plans. We're staying in the Bywater, I believe, but are open to other places in the city. We've both been there before, so no need to hit some of the more tourist-y stuff, but wouldn't mind some deeper cuts (or just extremely solid places).

We love to: eat; drink; walk around cool areas. My wife, in particular, loves old cemeteries. We haven't been in a couple of years and it looks like the beer landscape has changed significantly since then. Anywhere we should really try to hit, beer or otherwise?

We definitely preferred Frenchman St. over Bourbon for evenings and music, but anywhere in particular we should check out for venues/clubs? Thanks!
Courtyard brewery was pretty good while we were there and food at Cochon Butcher (not the main restaurant) as well as Toups were both fantastic if you’re looking for something different from the usual fare.

bramsdell if you’re staying in the bywater, you’ll be really close to Parleaux. They are worth checking out for sure. There’s no new breweries that are an absolute must imo. Spotted Cat is a cool venue on Frenchman. There’s a large concentration in those few blocks, most have something decent going on.

Thanks, man. Parleaux was what got me to ask around. I'll check out for sure. I loved the Spotted Cat last time I was in NOLA

Courtyard brewery was pretty good while we were there and food at Cochon Butcher (not the main restaurant) as well as Toups were both fantastic if you’re looking for something different from the usual fare.

Definitely enjoyed Courtyard and will likely return. Thanks for the tips.

Most of the really big cemeteries are in mid city. If you make it that way there are a number of them you can walk between and with a little hike you can make it to city park. You could also hit up 2nd line brewery in the area and bring a beer into the cemetery if you wanted to.

Bacchanal is a must hit in the Bywater IMO

http://www.bacchanalwine.com/#about-marquee

Also really enjoyed Vaughn’s for a local dive bar

Most of the really big cemeteries are in mid city. If you make it that way there are a number of them you can walk between and with a little hike you can make it to city park. You could also hit up 2nd line brewery in the area and bring a beer into the cemetery if you wanted to.

Last time we were there, we went to a cemetery, but I don't remember where it was. Did not make it to 2nd Line. We walked up from Bourbon St. to City Park and it was awesome.

Bacchanal is a must hit in the Bywater IMO

http://www.bacchanalwine.com/#about-marquee

Also really enjoyed Vaughn’s for a local dive bar

Loved Bacchanal and plan to return.

Last time we were there, we went to a cemetery, but I don't remember where it was. Did not make it to 2nd Line. We walked up from Bourbon St. to City Park and it was awesome.

if it was near downtown it was most likely st louis #1 or 2. those are the busy ones close to everything, #1 is where Marie Laveau is buried. If you hit the cemeteries near city park you could have gone to any of the dozen-ish ones around here. You can take a streetcar all the way down canal st to get to those, or walk the greenway from downtown to mid city. If you do make mid city i would recommend hitting up Holt cemetery. Its a paupers cemetery that has people buried in it from every war the US has ever fought. There is also a really high chance you will find lots of crazy voodoo shrines and quite possibly open graves. it isn't uncommon for the bones to float to the surface there. It's eerie as anything. It's also real close to some fantastic restaurants. Some other areas decent for walking could be freret st, magazine st, or oak st. (parts of them more specifically, 2 of those are long streets).

My mistake - we're staying near Lafayette Square (I'm not sure what neighborhood it qualifies as - CBD?). Basically Poydras and St. Charles.

Looks like Mammoth is only a ~10 min walk away in the AMs and Courtyard is less than a mile (really enjoyed last time).

Any restaurant recs in CBD?

My mistake - we're staying near Lafayette Square (I'm not sure what neighborhood it qualifies as - CBD?). Basically Poydras and St. Charles.

Looks like Mammoth is only a ~10 min walk away in the AMs and Courtyard is less than a mile (really enjoyed last time).

Cochon/Cochon butcher are about 1/2 mile away and were tasty. One is casual one a little fancier.

some of these are CBD and some are in the quarter:

Domenica is great for cheap happy hour wood fired pizza, and a big draw for local professionals. its a john besh place. i would also look for any other donald link places (he owns butcher/cochon) like Herbsaint or Gianna. Shaya is another must try if you can get a table, it isn't in that area though (magazine st). Green goddess is another option that should be close to you. it's in exchange alley (or exchange place depending on who you ask). They have always cranked out great stuff. Luke is another decent spot that's actually on st charles if you like french/german (alsacian) fare. restaurant August is also worth it if you have a little more $ to spend on upscale french food. Bayona is another great option too.

have you hit up the avenue pub yet? Its a few blocks past courtyard and well worth the extra steps IMO. courtyard pales in comparison.

also if you make it to the east side of the city (st claude st has a lot of nightlife) check out reds Chinese for the best chinese around or junction for the best burgers. they aren't far from frenchman.

late night must do food is Verti Marte for sloppy poboys. its a local institution for the over imbibed. good food even if you arent drunk.

if you like a muffaletta you have to hit up central grocery. its where they all started.

holla if you will make it out to mid city or the 'riverbend' area (oak st) and I'll shoot you the best places on the DL.

Domenica is great for cheap happy hour wood fired pizza, and a big draw for local professionals. its a john besh place. i would also look for any other donald link places (he owns butcher/cochon) like Herbsaint or Gianna. Shaya is another must try if you can get a table, it isn't in that area though (magazine st). Green goddess is another option that should be close to you. it's in exchange alley (or exchange place depending on who you ask). They have always cranked out great stuff. Luke is another decent spot that's actually on st charles if you like french/german (alsacian) fare. restaurant August is also worth it if you have a little more $ to spend on upscale french food. Bayona is another great option too.

have you hit up the avenue pub yet? Its a few blocks past courtyard and well worth the extra steps IMO. courtyard pales in comparison.

also if you make it to the east side of the city (st claude st has a lot of nightlife) check out reds Chinese for the best chinese around or junction for the best burgers. they aren't far from frenchman.

late night must do food is Verti Marte for sloppy poboys. its a local institution for the over imbibed. good food even if you arent drunk.

if you like a muffaletta you have to hit up central grocery. its where they all started.

holla if you will make it out to mid city or the 'riverbend' area (oak st) and I'll shoot you the best places on the DL.
Great now I want a fried chicken Poboy from Verti

You are the ****ing man. Thank you! I did go to Avenue Pub last time and really enjoyed it. Perfect weather and great list.

Back