Great Taste of the Midwest, Madison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Granite City is actually a chain. I wouldn't consider them a microbrew or brewpub. I've heard they ship their wort in and only ferment on site.

This is correct. We got a Granite City in Rockford a few years ago. The place was packed until people found out they didn't really brew the beer there. I went there for my birthday last year and wasn't impressed with the beer. I guess you lose quality when you brew for a chain. I couldn't even choke down the stout. The IPA is the only thing I could stand to drink. The food, on the other hand, is excellent. Try the Cuban if you get a chance. Great sandwich.

I didn't notice the smell of essenhaus, but I was already drunk and probably wreaked of beer myself. I thought it was a fun place...but if the stories are true, I won't be back.

Well, they do have a set up for brewing at the one in Madison so I'm pretty sure they brew their own there, and I'm aware that it's a chain but so is the Great Dane brew pub.

I'm pretty sure most of the Granite City restaurants only ferment the beer. As for Great Dane...I knew something felt a little different when I walked in there. It didn't feel like a brewery to me. Maybe it was the beer... It sort of reminded me of Granite City.

Four now, they just opened one in Wausau a couple months back. They're all owned and operated by the same folks, so I don't know if that's a chain. But they are growing. Because of them wanting to open more locations all the brew pub laws in WI were changed about two years back. And now if you're a new face and want to open brewery or pub, it SUCKS! Also, I am not a huge fan of their beers. I think they try too hard.

Do they actually produce wort there yet? Last time i was (about a year ago) they didn't.

I guess that could be, I never asked and just assumed they would I guess. I basically just go there for food and a huge mug of beer for cheap with friends. Why did I get a mug club membership? Peer pressure.

Back