Great Lakes Brewing Co.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good beer, no doubt. I stopped in their restaurant in Cleveland a few weekends ago and it was standing room only! Not hard to get to either. :)

I love Great Lakes beers!! All of them. Especially Commodore Perry and Nosferatu. All their beers are worth searching for. Plan on going to Cleveland in the spring or early summer next year to visit the brewery and the Rock-n-Roll Hall of Fame. Can't wait.

Have had all of their beers. My favorite by far is the Barrel Aged Black Out Stout......pure heaven!

I love Great Lakes beers!! All of them. Especially Commodore Perry and Nosferatu. All their beers are worth searching for. Plan on going to Cleveland in the spring or early summer next year to visit the brewery and the Rock-n-Roll Hall of Fame. Can't wait.

Skip the Rock-n-Roll hall of fame. It sucks. You can go through it in 5 minutes flat. Unless you like sitting there reading...their exibit tags read like a collage thesis paper. Instead, go to Willoughby Brewing Company...they have beer...The Hall of Fame does not.

I've had the:

Blackout Stout
Edmund Fitz
Nosferatu

...all fantastic brews.

These are all great beers as is Commodore Perry. Not as big of a fan of their lagers (Dortmunder, Eliot Ness, Octoberfest) but these are not styles I usually care for. Burning River is a decent pale ale also.

At the pub you can usually get beers not distributed such as their Oatmeal stout or barleywine or others.

Willoughby Brewing company east of Cleveland and RockyRiver brewing west of town are also good spots to hit if you are in town.

Craig

I love Great Lakes too! I went there this summer with my girlfriend while visiting her family and going to Cedar Point. I really enjoyed the IPA.

I just accepted a job in Willoughby, so I'll be checking out the Willoughby Brewing Co. soon enough!

I recently picked up the Edmund Fitzgerald (Which I have had before and love) and the Dortmunder Gold. Can't wait to try the DG...

I sampled one of theirs a while back and was not impressed. Can't remember the name, but it was a plain ale of some sort. I'm always half-tempted to try others, but there is just too much selection at the beer store. I might just break down and get me some EF to try since everyone here seems to rave about it.

Thanks for all the watering hole tips fellas:mug: I think we'll reconsider checking the HoF although I am one of those types that can spend all day reading in a museum. When our trip gets a little closer I'll look you guys up and maybe we can meet for a brew. Thanks again.

although I am one of those types that can spend all day reading in a museum.
Well, it's really designed for people like you. But overall, it really is a sad dissapointment. Don't get me wrong, I like museums, I could spend days just wondering around stoned and marveling at the history of things, but the Rock Hall really is lacking in substance to their exibits. Ya they have flashy lights, Hendrix guitars, Beatles Memorabilia, but it's spread waaaayyy thin and too much unecissary detail in their description cards.

When our trip gets a little closer I'll look you guys up and maybe we can meet for a brew.
Please do. Shoot us locals an email or PM (private message, not Partial Mash). When do you think you'll be out here?

Well, it's really designed for people like you. But overall, it really is a sad dissapointment. Don't get me wrong, I like museums, I could spend days just wondering around stoned and marveling at the history of things, but the Rock Hall really is lacking in substance to their exibits. Ya they have flashy lights, Hendrix guitars, Beatles Memorabilia, but it's spread waaaayyy thin and too much unecissary detail in their description cards.

Please do. Shoot us locals an email or PM (private message, not Partial Mash). When do you think you'll be out here?

Definitely, I would like to meet up with some other HBTers sometime. I don't get out to the bars often so I'd like the excuse.

Also if you go to Great Lakes, just around the corner is a great Belgian beer bar called the Bier Markt. Nice selection of Belgian imports and American brewed belgian styles. Also the best fries in town (actually the best fries I have tasted).

Craig

Maybe around April(Spring Break) but more than likely in the summer. I'll be sure to PM you fine folks when the date is set.

Also if you go to Great Lakes, just around the corner is a great Belgian beer bar called the Bier Markt. Nice selection of Belgian imports and American brewed belgian styles. Also the best fries in town (actually the best fries I have tasted).

Craig

Been meaning to go to the Bier Markt, but with La Cave Du Vin so close to me (and with a better selection) I tend to go there instead......speaking of which, I think I'll go to La Cave tonight.

Been meaning to go to the Bier Markt, but with La Cave Du Vin so close to me (and with a better selection) I tend to go there instead......speaking of which, I think I'll go to La Cave tonight.

That suggests you live not far from me. I'm in Shaker Heights not far from the end of Coventry Rd.

I've not yet been to La Cave. I'll have to see if I can get there sometime.

The nice thing about the Bier Markt (I've only been twice) besides the food being good is the large selection of Belgian beers on tap, not just in the bottle. I think they had about 20 different beers on tap, nearly all belgian or belgian styles. In addition to a good selection of bottles. However it does appear that La Cave does have a bigger and more diverse selection.

Craig

I've walked by La Cave, I don't know how many times. I was never tempted to go in, as I'm not a fan of Vin. I'll have to reconsider, now. I end up going to Warehouse Beverage pretty often. It's got a decent selection for my ignorant palate, and is the most local HBS I have, though it seems a little overpriced.

I preferred Rocky River to Willoughby. Willoughby's Irish Red left me disappointed, and I still can't get the taste of that Lavender-flavored Belgian they had this past summer out of my mouth. I very much prefer the atmosphere at Rocky River. I never feel like I'm dressed nicely enough for Willoughby.

Anyone seen any Indigo Imp beers? Apparently they are in the process of opening downtown.

I've walked by La Cave, I don't know how many times. I was never tempted to go in, as I'm not a fan of Vin. I'll have to reconsider, now. I end up going to Warehouse Beverage pretty often. It's got a decent selection for my ignorant palate, and is the most local HBS I have, though it seems a little overpriced.

I preferred Rocky River to Willoughby. Willoughby's Irish Red left me disappointed, and I still can't get the taste of that Lavender-flavored Belgian they had this past summer out of my mouth. I very much prefer the atmosphere at Rocky River. I never feel like I'm dressed nicely enough for Willoughby.

Anyone seen any Indigo Imp beers? Apparently they are in the process of opening downtown.

Dude you have to go to La Cave, it's beautiful!!!

Never seen Indigo Imp....so this means we'll have another brewery in Cleveland?!?!? YES!!!! :mug:

While you are in the area, you should definately stop into a pub called "MELT Bar and Grilled" in Lakewood (a little east of Cleveland)- :: Melt bar and grilled, Lakewood, Ohio :: They have the most AMAZING grilled cheese sandwiches and an awesome beer list! I would recomend this place to anyone who is going to be in the Cleveland area. I don't go to Cleveland without stopping at Melt at least once! :mug:

While you are in the area, you should definately stop into a pub called "MELT Bar and Grilled" in Lakewood (a little east of Cleveland)- :: Melt bar and grilled, Lakewood, Ohio :: They have the most AMAZING grilled cheese sandwiches and an awesome beer list! I would recomend this place to anyone who is going to be in the Cleveland area. I don't go to Cleveland without stopping at Melt at least once! :mug:

Well, as long as your are in Lakewood, check out The Buckeye Brewery (aka The Buckeye Beer Engine)! Awesome food and whuge beer selection and taps (20 plus taps! And that doesn't include the two cask taps!)

Lakewood is west of Cleveland. Other than that I agree with what you said about Melt. I've only been there once. Same with the Buckeye Beer Engine. Being an east-sider and all, it's a bit out of my way. Melt has the only cole slaw that I'll dignify with the label "food".

OH ya, sorry, forgot to replay to that one. I'm in University Heights, about two blocks away from John Carrol University.

That is pretty local. My wife works on the Bellefaire campus.

We should meet up sometime to brew or just for a few beers. Sounds like JayC is pretty close also.

I need to get over to the westside more often. I been wanting to try out Buckeye Beer Engine and Rocky River but havn't made the trip yet.

Craig

Great Lakes and Thirty Dog (Akron) are very solid commercial breweries in Ohio.

I've yet to try a beer from either that I didn't like. Not all of them are great, but overall very good commercial brews.

We should meet up sometime to brew or just for a few beers. Sounds like JayC is pretty close also.

I need to get over to the westside more often. I been wanting to try out Buckeye Beer Engine and Rocky River but havn't made the trip yet.

Craig
Definitly!!! I'm strapped for cash right now b/c I'm about to pay off my credit card debt (FINALLY!!!). It probably would be best for me to meet up after X-Mas.

Definitly!!! I'm strapped for cash right now b/c I'm about to pay off my credit card debt (FINALLY!!!). It probably would be best for me to meet up after X-Mas.

Probably a good idea as I doubt I'd have much time before then. Holidays always result in way too many events.

Craig

That is pretty local. My wife works on the Bellefaire campus.

Craig

I live in Richmond Heights and work in South Euclid. Getting together some time after Christmas sounds good to me. Whether it's somewhere local or a field trip to the west side.

The only Thirsty Dog I've had was their raspberry ale, which I didn't care for. Too much of a strong/artificial raspberry aroma. But I've thought that about most of the commercial raspberry beers I've had.

Back