Great HOP pricing going on!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it was $10 and change to ship 4lbs of pellets and 1lb of leaf to NJ for me which was alittle cheaper then i was expecting

so i've got 1lb each of Amarillo, Cascade, Centennial, Columbus, Chinook, Crystal, First Gold, & Wilamette pellets ordered, now i need to get a vacuum sealer. What model should I get?

So I am guessing these are 2008 hops right?

What do you think their shelf life is now? I am guessing they have been stored properly and figuring they would be in the freezer when they get here, what do you think?

it was $10 and change to ship 4lbs of pellets and 1lb of leaf to NJ for me which was alittle cheaper then i was expecting

so i've got 1lb each of Amarillo, Cascade, Centennial, Columbus, Chinook, Crystal, First Gold, & Wilamette pellets ordered, now i need to get a vacuum sealer. What model should I get?

@ bkov. That is good to hear I'd guess it would be close to the same to Indiana.

@ Beezer94. I bought one of the "New and improved" 3XXX series (3440BS) and it was a steaming pile of junk. It would take literally 30 seconds for it to figure out you inserted a bag, vacuum, think about it, seal, think about and release the bag it would take 2 minutes totalk, seriously. I took it right back and picked up a 2240BS for half the price and it works every time like a charm. I have also used the 2460 with great success.

I'd recommend the 2460/2240/2060, Gamesaver series and the Professional series. Just stay away from the 3xxxx series PITA.

All in all, Foodsavers are worth the cost.

Got 10lbs. Fuggle, Willamette, Tettnanger, Centennial, Northern Brewer, Cascade, Columbus, Amarillo, Magnum, and Chinook. Doh, I meant to get Goldings too. Oh well. $103 before shipping.

Crap. I, too, JUST got my pre-sale-priced order in the mail. *sigh*

The other one was my Mom has a nail lady that has a husband that owns a hop farm that sells to hop union and said that they have hops coming out their ears, they are actually inviting anyone to come and pick hops off the bines as they have too much :rockin: Can you imagine?

I'm from North Dakota, and the idea of a farmer inviting people to take his inventory is...well, alien, to say the least!

Crap. I, too, JUST got my pre-sale-priced order in the mail. *sigh*

I'm from North Dakota, and the idea of a farmer inviting people to take his inventory is...well, alien, to say the least!

I was thinking the same thing, but it sounds like it was a pretty da$n good year for hop production in the Yakima valley. I will hopefully be talking to the farmers wife tomorrow to see how I can get some hops.

just called, and uped my oder to 11 lbs!

they said this 08 blowout. and they are so busy that it wont ship for 5-6 days! oh the humanity! :D

I couldn't help myself. I've got hops for about 10 batches in my freezer already, but I went ahead and ordered 2# each of hallertau and northern brewer. I had another 4# of other varieties in there, but I think the price for those may well hold. Guess I'll have some explaining to do to SWIMBO when the UPS guy stops by. Too bad hopsdirect doesn't sell the other kind of flowers as well.

just called, and uped my oder to 11 lbs!

they said this 08 blowout. and they are so busy that it wont ship for 5-6 days! oh the humanity! :D

I ordered 5 pounds yesterday and got the shipping notification today so I think they are pretty well on top of it.

Yeah, it's beginning to look a lot like Christmas (or maybe harvest time)

I had to pick up 5 lbs. Already had a couple lbs in the freezer, soon there will be no room for food. ;)

Perle
Williamette
Centennial
Columbus
Galena

I also wish I had waited, I ordered a lb of amarillo and a lb of cascade a couple of weeks ago. Would have saved about $10. At these prices I might have to grab a couple lbs of other things to play around with.

So I am guessing these are 2008 hops right?

What do you think their shelf life is now? I am guessing they have been stored properly and figuring they would be in the freezer when they get here, what do you think?

Some hops hold their aplpha acids for a year at room temp, if cold should be much better. I had some in the freezer for a year in the foil and they were still good. I had some others that I put in ziplock bags(didnt really seal) those weren't that good after a year.
ProBrewer.com: Hop Data

I ordered mine Sunday night and they shipped this afternoon. They're doing very well for being as busy as they must be.

(And UPS says the package weighs 7 pounds...for a 5 pound order. That can only be good!)

Aw man! I just received 8lbs from them LAST WEEK! I would have save $40 easily at these prices..

I just talked to the wife of one of the owners that sells to hop union, well I guess hop union is not really technically around anymore as she put it but they have so much production this year that they are leaving hops on the bine because they have exceeded their production for sales and have signs out for people to stop and pick hops that they want.

Crazy, so if you are in the moxxee area and homebrew, you are lucky.

She is going to check with her husband to see what they are harvesting right now and see what can be sent to me :rockin:

Saw a tweet from Mr. Papazian... some Willamette on the bines, free to pick in WA state!

So how big would 9 pounds of pellet hops be? Trying to figure out fridge room before they arrive. A couple watermelons worth?

7 lb on the way to me.

Shame my LHBS has been raising their prices on everything - they're loosing a bunch of my business...

8 pounds on the way to me!!

Amarillo
Cascade
Columbus (2 pounds)
Willamette
Centennial
Magnum
Chinook

Awesome, in for four pounds!

1lb Willamette pellets
1lb Cascade leaf
1lb US Saaz pellets
1lb Tettnanger pelelts

So I'll have nobles, earthy, and floral/citrus, plus 0.5lb galena in the freezer for bittering... and the cost of a batch of beer just dropped pretty dramatically :D

Thanks for the heads up!

I ordered Sunday and mine shipped out yesterday. They'll arrive on 9/15. 10# of hops arriving in a 15# package (of course that includes the box and the bags)... I love that place.

I picked up 8oz of Tettnanger to bring me up to 12 ounces of those.

Why is everyone in a rush to buy old hops? I'm paranoid to use any hops over a year old. Oh well, my paranoia will cost me a few bucks, but i'm waiting for the new stuff.:mug:

At these prices it's a no-brainer. Provided that you have a food saver and a freezer to keep them in, 2008 crop will hold up just fine for a year or more.

Back