great all grain ferment...tastes like crap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EvanLouis

Reaction score
ive finally hit my first crap batch. humble brag. sorry. anyways i mashed 2.5lbs of crystal millet for an experimental all grain batch. i didnt have a hop sock for the hops so it had a lot of trub in a small fermenter. fermented like crazy, produced a brilliant head. tastes absolutely awful. any ideas why?

ive finally hit my first crap batch. humble brag. sorry. anyways i mashed 2.5lbs of crystal millet for an experimental all grain batch. i didnt have a hop sock for the hops so it had a lot of trub in a small fermenter. fermented like crazy, produced a brilliant head. tastes absolutely awful. any ideas why?

that might have something to do with it :D

If I read this correctly, 100% of your grain bill was crystal millet.
This will make for a beer with poor flavor.
Use pale malt for the majority of your grain bill, keep the crystal to less than 20%(depending on style).

If I read this correctly, 100% of your grain bill was crystal millet.
This will make for a beer with poor flavor.
Use pale malt for the majority of your grain bill, keep the crystal to less than 20%(depending on style).

Well, pale malt isn't gluten free. But there are other grains that are. The idea is that you need something for the base that isn't a crystal/specialty grain.

thanks! there is pale millet malt as well as others. maybe ill do a partial mash and add crystal.

Yes, "pale" is indicative of the processing not the grain type. You can get pale barley, millet, buckwheat, rice, corn, oats, etc.

Lots of ideas on this forum for partial mash and all grain.

Lately a lot of people have been using pale millet for the base and then rice for the roasted grain because the husk of the rice plays well with the roasting. I am in that camp now also.

Back