Gray settled in bottom of secondary ? Please help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Klowe0419

Reaction score
I have noticed and layer of gray stuff the bottom of the secondary I just racked the brew 4 days ago after 2 weeks in the primary with a final of 1.010 the temp dropped while I was gone on a short work trip and when I returned the gray was there like 1/2 inch please help I'm freaking out lol

You may have woken up the yeast a bit when you racked to secondary, so it might be a bit of extra yeast settling out. More likely though is that the colder temperatures caused a bit of protein, yeast, and other solids to drop out of your beer. Either way, this is a good thing. Don't worry about it.

The dark grey stuff is trub. There is your beer layer, then yeast layer, then trub. Yeast will settle out into the trub leaving you with clear beer. The fuzzy area between your beer layer and trub area(dark colored) is yeast that's still active. You may have little of this layer after tranferring. So you are just seeing beer and trub. It's a good thing.

Ok thanks all I was just worried because its not the color of yeast or any I've ever seen anyway its a gray/silver color on top of the brown/tan yeast just making sure it's not ruined

Those are the colors it should be, you are good to go. Oh you say, on top of the yeast layer, still you are good to go. Protein balls, probably. Let it keep settling out.

Latest posts

Back