gray material floating in MLT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sillyburt

Reaction score
I have some gray dust like material on top of my grains. wonderingwhat the hell it is. anyone ever have this happen?

I recently got a new alum kettle and thought it might be from that but I have on oxidized layer on it

this looks kinda sick. wort had a gray coloring to it.

photostream

P1010622 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

wondering if I should dump this or not ??

Looks normal to me. I use Rahr 2-row and always have some gray mud looking stuff that settles on top of my grain. Might have something to do with the crush maybe or could be the grain. At any rate, I wouldn't worry about it.

I get a ton of that when I do decoction mashes. The poor grist looks so battered. Pretty sure it's similar to hot break. It's normal.

yes new source. I've run thru 2 bags of canadian 2-row from group buys. I just recently picked up a bag of Briess 2-row. besides possible my first few AG batches I've always used the canadian 2-row. if this happened prior to that I might not have noticed.

IIRCN I've only done another previous batch with this grain, but the switch in kettles also had me wondering. the previous batch was amber so I may not have noticed if this even happened. this batch was cent. blonde so it may have been more evident.

so the gray putty colored muck from the dust is normal then?

I usually see some of the grain turn thick & mucky from my crush (corona mill) but it was always white. so yeah this had me alarmed a bit.

anyone else get this gray color then ?

I get a ton of that when I do decoction mashes. The poor grist looks so battered. Pretty sure it's similar to hot break. It's normal.

sorry for not explained my batch. I didn't do a decoction. brought mash temp to about 154, second mash (or runnings) brought it up to 165, then again for another sparge at 165. the gray material was there on the "first" mash... if you will.

sorry for not explained my batch. I didn't do a decoction. brought mash temp to about 154, second mash (or runnings) brought it up to 165, then again for another sparge at 165. the gray material was there on the "first" mash... if you will.

I have a very similar mash profile for many of my beer and have found this gray mud in cooler mash tun. It may be fine dust from your grain crush mixed with water. I have seen this about 10 times and it did NOT seem to affect the taste of my beer in anyway.

Slightly :off:

But the title had me thinking about this...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0Fc9lvRMy0]Oingo Boingo - Grey Matter (live) - YouTube[/ame]

Back