Gravity Wal-Mart Great Value Apple Juice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaw237

Reaction score
I was starting my cider today and just finished cleaning my equipment. As I was cleaning the last piece of equipment my gravity meter cracked. The local brew shop is closed for the next few days so I can not replace. I could calculate the gravity on my if I knew the initial gravity of the juice. Has anyone used Great Value 100% Apple Juice before that knows its initial gravity. Here is the link for the brand. Thank you for any help.

It's possible given the gravity of the juice and the ingredients used. There are calculators online and as a rule of thumb a pound of sugar in a gallon of water will yield 40 points of gravity. A pound in a five gallon batch will yield 8 points of gravity etc.

Disclaimer for anyone that wants to chime in here with the accuracy of this not being correct or accurate: it's an estimation, and is close enough for government work if you want to get your batch going and don't have a hydrometer available. At most you'll be off by 5-10 points.

According to the nutrition information, the juice should be 11.7 brix (grams sugar divided by grams per serving) - which converts to 1.047 SG.

I was able to scrap up a gravity meter from somebody. I have seen alot of people using this brand for cider so it does not hurt to note for future reference. My Great Value 100% Apple Juice was around 1.040. I guess they lean towards water over concentrate.

Back