Gravity too low

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amaurer

Reaction score
I just made my first batch of American Red from a Williams Brewing Kit.

The instructions didn't mention checking the original gravity, but one of my friends recommended that I fill the fermenter to 4.5 gallons and check it before reaching 5 gal.

... it only measures 1.038 :(

What to do?

Did you measure the temp of your sample most hydrmeters read accurately at 59-60 f maybe you need to adjust your reading based on the temp

I took the reading at 68F, which the cal sheet says i should add 1pt...

I just added whatever I could save from the sludge in the boiling pot. I'm up to 1.041-1.042, including the temp correction. Oh well, I guess.

Make sure you mix wort and the added water well. Often the water just sits on top giving you less accurate readings of what's really there.

That sounds normal most kits have an og of 1.040-1.042 that's what you get from 6 pounds of lme I wouldn't worry to much about it just let it ferment and when it's done I bet you'll have beer

It isnt going to be acurate, because water and wort hardly ever mix well. If it was extract, then at 5 gallons your OG will be what the kit said they would be. All of your fermentables come from extract, and they know how much extract they gave you.

You dont have to worry about hitting gravity like you go with grains, because variables like mash temp and efficiency dont matter. What did the recipe say the OG would be?

Let us know how it turns out. I have never bought their kits, but have always been interested. They seem to have some nice stuff, just never tried any of it.

Back