Gravity too low prior to fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marches2

Reaction score
Attempting to make apple and blackberry wine, I followed instructions and am happy with the prep, but when I measured the gravity it was a 1028, from my very limited knowledge that's too low right? I've only sealed the lid a few hours ago so is it too late to add more fruit

Ingredients were 10 l water 3.5kg apples, 3.5kg blackberry 5l apple juice, 5g yeast

How was the fruit prepared? If it was not puréed or juiced adequately, you may not be getting the sugars from the fruit registering in your gravity. Many wines also require a pretty heavy sugar addition for fermentation.

How was the fruit prepared? If it was not puréed or juiced adequately, you may not be getting the sugars from the fruit registering in your gravity. Many wines also require a pretty heavy sugar addition for fermentation.
Yeah it was chopped, brought to the boil and simmered, OK so would u recommend adding more sugar or leave it this time and see how it goes

If it ferments to 1 -- ABV will be about 3.7%... Goes bit below 1 that rises but not significantly.

As is, I think you’re looking at a session strength cider at best. If you want a typical wine level alcohol, you’re going to need to add significant corn sugar. Based on what you shared, I think you need 3 1/2 to 4 kg of corn sugar. Finished product will likely be pretty harsh need to age for quite a while.

More out-of-the-box ideas could be to add honey and turn it into a mead, or add DME and make it a braggot. Either way you’re going to have to add enough sugar to get your OG up to give you the alcohol potential that you want out of your finished product.

As is, I think you’re looking at a session strength cider at best. If you want a typical wine level alcohol, you’re going to need to add significant corn sugar. Based on what you shared, I think you need 3 1/2 to 4 kg of corn sugar. Finished product will likely be pretty harsh need to age for quite a while.

More out-of-the-box ideas could be to add honey and turn it into a mead, or add DME and make it a braggot. Either way you’re going to have to add enough sugar to get your OG up to give you the alcohol potential that you want out of your finished product.

Tbh I don't really mind if the alcohol content is a little lower, I picked everything myself (aside from sugar) so want to keep it as natural as possible, just for personal preference so I'd like to increase sugar content by adding more whole fruit rather than processed sugar. I might try adding honey, any idea how much would be needed. Thanks man

Last edited:
Honey has a PPG (points per pound per gallon) of about 35. One pound of honey will add .035 SG to one gallon of wort or must. Since you have about 4 gal (15l) each pound of honey will add about .0085 to the OG. Figure out what you want for an OG and add accordingly. You may need a pinch of yeast nutrient to help ferment the honey. Give it a long fermentation and cellar the bottles for at least 6 months or more. Good luck. These experiments some times produce the most memorable brews.

Honey has a PPG (points per pound per gallon) of about 35. One pound of honey will add .035 SG to one gallon of wort or must. Since you have about 4 gal (15l) each pound of honey will add about .0085 to the OG. Figure out what you want for an OG and add accordingly. You may need a pinch of yeast nutrient to help ferment the honey. Give it a long fermentation and cellar the bottles for at least 6 months or more. Good luck. These experiments some times produce the most memorable brews.

Thanks for all the information. I added approx 700g of organic honey, will leave it as is and see how it goes. Might add more to flavour it when finished.

Yeah exactly I'm happy to try a few few different things 9ver tine

Thanks again

I'm taking it that the OG is 1.0280 and not 1.1028... ???? Decimal point...?

Sugar...fructose, sucrose, dextrose, refined, natural...I don't think the yeasts care which you use. The alcohol that is produced by one or all of them will be...alcohol. As long as it ferments to dryness I don't think the type of sugar, refined or natural, will matter. Naturally, the fruits are giving it flavor, body, all the nice things...more of it is good.

According to Fermcalc, with an OG of 1.0280 Fermcalc adding 700 grams of honey shows to raise the OG to 1.0472 giving a potential ABV% of around 6%. All-natural is cool but low-alcohol beverages do not have a long storage life...don't figure on saving a bottle for your toddlers college graduation. ;)

Attempting to make apple and blackberry wine, I followed instructions and am happy with the prep, but when I measured the gravity it was a 1028, from my very limited knowledge that's too low right? I've only sealed the lid a few hours ago so is it too late to add more fruit

Ingredients were 10 l water 3.5kg apples, 3.5kg blackberry 5l apple juice, 5g yeast

I will add that honey can add nice qualities to a wine. Honey, water, and yeast makes for an extremely nice drink (traditional mead)! Refined sugar, water, and yeast makes some bad tasting rocket fuel that peels the lining of your throat off.<grin>

I'm taking it that the OG is 1.0280 and not 1.1028... ???? Decimal point...?

Sugar...fructose, sucrose, dextrose, refined, natural...I don't think the yeasts care which you use. The alcohol that is produced by one or all of them will be...alcohol. As long as it ferments to dryness I don't think the type of sugar, refined or natural, will matter. Naturally, the fruits are giving it flavor, body, all the nice things...more of it is good.

According to Fermcalc, with an OG of 1.0280 Fermcalc adding 700 grams of honey shows to raise the OG to 1.0472 giving a potential ABV% of around 6%. All-natural is cool but low-alcohol beverages do not have a long storage life...don't figure on saving a bottle for your toddlers college graduation. ;)

Yep 1.0280, sorry am a complete beginner I'll see how this goes and adjust ratio of water:sugar/fruits etc for the next batch! Haha cool I don't think this will be of a suitable quality to even consider saving for a special occasion! Thanks for the information

Sugar, add it till you get to 1090. Pectic Enzyme will help if you have some to break down the skins and masticate. Wait a couple of days soaking to check gravity and see if any seeps out during the soak. You will be fine as all long as you used S02 / Campden to kill off wild yeast. @ 1/16 tsp per gallon. Even at 1090 your Gravity won't creep higher than 5 points and still not be too hot of a wine

Will try get the gravity up the next time. Its 6 days today and the gravity is still only 1.009, will it continue to ferment down to below 1 or will it begin to slow

Sugar, add it till you get to 1090. Pectic Enzyme will help if you have some to break down the skins and masticate. Wait a couple of days soaking to check gravity and see if any seeps out during the soak. You will be fine as all long as you used S02 / Campden to kill off wild yeast. @ 1/16 tsp per gallon. Even at 1090 your Gravity won't creep higher than 5 points and still not be too hot of a wine

Fermcalc is showing that you're sitting at around 5% ABV. Still slightly sweet.

Tonight will be six days. Give it a couple/three more days and see where it's at. By then I'd be considering racking off the gross lees...you don't want the fruit debris to start going bad/rotting, though hopefully the alcohol level will prevent the rotting part though the fruit debris can give off bad tastes to the wine if left in too long. A couple of more days shouldn't matter.

Do you mind sharing your recipe? Did you add k-meta to the must before adding the yeast? Pectic enzymes? Stir a couple of times a day for the first 3-4 days?

One last question...how does it smell? Got a hint of alcohol smell/taste? Fruity?

Will try get the gravity up the next time. Its 6 days today and the gravity is still only 1.009, will it continue to ferment down to below 1 or will it begin to slow
Sorry amigo, I thought you were trying to get your start gravity set to ferment, not a finished gravity.
1009 is done. So you started at 1030 for round numbers and finished at 1010. That is 2.6% about 5 proof. Perfect for the kids table at T day dinner
https://www.brewersfriend.com/abv-calculator/

Fermcalc is showing that you're sitting at around 5% ABV. Still slightly sweet.

Tonight will be six days. Give it a couple/three more days and see where it's at. By then I'd be considering racking off the gross lees...you don't want the fruit debris to start going bad/rotting, though hopefully the alcohol level will prevent the rotting part though the fruit debris can give off bad tastes to the wine if left in too long. A couple of more days shouldn't matter.

Do you mind sharing your recipe? Did you add k-meta to the must before adding the yeast? Pectic enzymes? Stir a couple of times a day for the first 3-4 days?

One last question...how does it smell? Got a hint of alcohol smell/taste? Fruity?

I worked it out at just under 3%? Will try bottling it at the weekend, I've about 17l so fir it to be any use to me I want it between 4 and 5%, is it too late to add more sugar/alcohol? There's definitely a hint of alcohol of the smell taste and the airlock is bubbling when I press the top.

Yeah sure, I kinda winged the receipt, it was

2.5kg berries 2.5kg apples, 2l apple juice 13l water 5g yeast 500g sugar 1.5 pot organic honey

Didn't bother with peptic enzyme or tabs to kill the natural yeast. Wanna keep it as natural as possible, even if that sacrifices some taste

Sorry amigo, I thought you were trying to get your start gravity set to ferment, not a finished gravity.
1009 is done. So you started at 1030 for round numbers and finished at 1010. That is 2.6% about 5 proof. Perfect for the kids table at T day dinner
Thanks man, will try a higher initial gravity next time to get a higher abv

lol, you're cracking me up.....

I added approx 700g of organic honey,

to 17l batch (4.5 gallons)

if he let's it go dry, i'm getting 6.6% ABV, with the honey.....and my ciders take 2 weeks to go to dryness.....

edit: and if it does finish to dryness, look into one of these..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Glass-Vino...=1533254063431e73e041f4424a83b1d253d92ad06773

Last edited:
Is that different from a hydrometer??

damn, i got schooled on this, it 'actually' measures 'viscosity' not 'density'....lol....so you can tell how much alcohol is present as long as it's dry by filling it up then turning it upside down and seeing where the liquid stops...i got a couple for trying to figure out how much ABV my sake had.....like you i didn't have a for sure OG->FG

Thanks for that, yeah I did. A few hours after closing the lid. Is it too late to add more?

I'm not sure what to tell you about adding more sugar this late in the primary fermentation. If there are live yeast still in the must then they would consume the added sugar. Being as it looks like you have a low alcohol level there may very well be live yeast in the must. If the yeast are alive you will increase the ABV%. If all the yeast are dead you will end up with a very sweet, low alcohol drink. I believe that most any yeast will survive a 5% ABV, even bread yeast. What type of yeast did you use?

lol, you're cracking me up.....

to 17l batch (4.5 gallons)

if he let's it go dry, i'm getting 6.6% ABV, with the honey.....and my ciders take 2 weeks to go to dryness.....

edit: and if it does finish to dryness, look into one of these..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Glass-Vinometer-Wine-Alcohol-Meter-For-Testing-Home-Made-Wine-HI/153325406343?_trkparms=ispr=1&hash=item23b2e80887:g:l-MAAOSwVnlak6Dv&enc=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&checksum=1533254063431e73e041f4424a83b1d253d92ad06773&enc=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&checksum=1533254063431e73e041f4424a83b1d253d92ad06773

He absolutely should go dry considering a rack and sit for a month before another. But how dry does it go. I have never measured it. I measure start, let it stand for 10 days with a couple stirs a day then move it over to a primary with an airlock where it sits for a month. If it ain't done in a month it ain't doing nothing. I've always assumed that 1010-1008 is done. Does it go to 1000?

I
He absolutely should go dry considering a rack and sit for a month before another. But how dry does it go. I have never measured it. I measure start, let it stand for 10 days with a couple stirs a day then move it over to a primary with an airlock where it sits for a month. If it ain't done in a month it ain't doing nothing. I've always assumed that 1010-1008 is done. Does it go to 1000?

I made a test batch, only 2l but same ratios, and the final gravity went to 0.998,so I assume this will keep dropping too?

I

I made a test batch, only 2l but same ratios, and the final gravity went to 0.998,so I assume this will keep dropping too?
Looks like my wine is a bit stronger than I thought LOL. 1100 down to... have to measure 998

13.26 instead of the 12.75% I thought it was...26.5 proof Not even hot.

Back