Gravity too high after 1 week in primary? (First brew)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got done making a 1L starter. As soon as that puppy hits high krausen, it's going in and will hopefully finish the job. What else could I have done?

Here is what I used

ForumRunner_20120126_184950.jpg

If you've raised the temp and there was no change after a couple days then it's finished. Bottle it up! It will likely be a good beer! I have a chocolate stout with lactose that has been at 1.024 for the last two weeks. I'm bottling it this weekend...

What's the outcome? Mine didn't budge after making a starter so it's done. I can't fathom why it ended at 1.022 but it did. Oh well. I tasted it and the I can taste the starter I threw in it. Hopefully that dies down some. If not I'll make another batch of stout and scrap this batch.

I've determined life is too short to lose sleep over a hobby. If I try to make a cake and it doesn't come out how I like it, I trash it. Life is too short to drink crappy beer.

What's the outcome? Mine didn't budge after making a starter so it's done. I can't fathom why it ended at 1.022 but it did. Oh well.

as was stated before, many extract batches just stop around 1.02. it's not a myth, it happens quite a bit. when i was brewing mainly extract, i struggled to get many a batch down below 1.018. many finished at 1.02 or higher. i found that using only light or extra light extract, and mainly use DME instead of LME, can really help with getting a lower FG. you can get the colors and flavors from specialty grains and not the dark extracts. i still brew an extract batch about once a month and i still find that any beer that uses a good amount of dark or amber extract will be subject to the 1.02 stall. it just happens.

as was stated before, many extract batches just stop around 1.02. it's not a myth, it happens quite a bit. when i was brewing mainly extract, i struggled to get many a batch down below 1.018. many finished at 1.02 or higher. i found that using only light or extra light extract, and mainly use DME instead of LME, can really help with getting a lower FG. you can get the colors and flavors from specialty grains and not the dark extracts. i still brew an extract batch about once a month and i still find that any beer that uses a good amount of dark or amber extract will be subject to the 1.02 stall. it just happens.

My batch was all grain and stalled at 1.022.

2 weeks in my primary and I just took my OG reading.. 1.0228.. (target = 1.017) The starting OG reading was 1.72 so I figured i'm around 6.5% ABV. I threw some hops in last night and moved the bucket. I wasn't concerned about stalling until I read this thread... i know i know.. dont worry..

I pretty much read through the whole thread and did not see any mention of aeration of wort prior to pitching. I used to get that short .02 FG reading until I got an aeration kit.

Just an observation.

I pretty much read through the whole thread and did not see any mention of aeration of wort prior to pitching. I used to get that short .02 FG reading until I got an aeration kit.

Just an observation.

I was just going to say the same thing! When I moved to pure oxygen and yeast nutrient my attenuation got way better!

I actually did aerate the wort but not as well as I usually do. Maybe that could be it? Combined with a mash temp of 157? I don't know. :confused:

I actually did aerate the wort but not as well as I usually do. Maybe that could be it? Combined with a mash temp of 157? I don't know. :confused:

Aerating very well is super important. More than people might think. That high of a mash temp would likely have a lot to do with it as well. You'll get more unfermentable sugars at that temp..

Latest posts

Back