Gravity Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

downhill_biker

Reaction score
I want to increase the gravity a bit on my batch, can I do this without messing up the batch? The yeast eats sugar to make alcohol and CO2, right? Can I just add a cup of some kind of sugar to the batch when I am cooking it and let it sit for an extra week to allow time for it all to process?

If you're talking about boosting gravity during the initial boil, it is usually best to add a bit of malt extract or just add some base malt to your grist. Use something like BrewTarget as a quick and easy way to see what you're doing.

You don't need to let it sit extra time, primary fermentation is usually done in the first week unless you've done something extreme.

Better answers would come with a more descriptive question. Why do you want to raise OG? Just for kicks or are you missing your gravity attempts? What's your recipe?

If you want to raise the OG without affecting the color, add Maltodextrine or table sugar.
If you want it for body and some additional ABV, go with the Maltodextrine.
If you simply want higher ABV, go with sugar.

Both can be added with 5-10 minutes left in the boil.

Be careful with the amount of both. 8oz of Malto max for 5 gallons.
Table sugar can really dry a beer out and present a cidery taste if you go overboard. 1 lb. max there if you have a small grain bill.

I basically wanted to raise the gravity or ABV just so that I could enjoy a beer or two and get an effect from it. I'm 6'9" and 300lbs and drinking 10 of these guys is not my idea of what I want to do. But I still want the effect...at least somewhat.

So, table sugar...Is there any info on this that I can research? Not sure what my "grain bill" is...

Dry Malt Extract or Liquid Malt Extract will generally give you about 8 points of gravity per pound in a 5 gallon batch. So if you wanted to raise you beers gravity by 24 points you could add 3lbs of extract which comes close to about 2% abv(depending on attenuation and stuff like that).

Of course more gravity means more work for the yeast so more yeast may be needed(starter) and possibly a different variety of yeast depending on which yeast you are using!

Adding a large amount of plain/corn sugar can have a "not so good" effect like tlael said above so not recommended. Now if you wanted to make an all sugar ferment you could but then it would have to be distilled and all and I do not think that is legal, without special license anyway cause it would not be beer at that point it would be the first step to whiskey;)

Your "grain bill" is the type and amount of grains needed for a paricular recipe. It usually relates to all grain brewers but can be translated into use for extract brewers too I guess!

Good luck and keep on brewing!!

I basically wanted to raise the gravity or ABV just so that I could enjoy a beer or two and get an effect from it. I'm 6'9" and 300lbs and drinking 10 of these guys is not my idea of what I want to do. But I still want the effect...at least somewhat.

So, table sugar...Is there any info on this that I can research? Not sure what my "grain bill" is...

well if all you want is a higher ABV why not look into making bigger beers in the first place. look into Strong Ales, Barley wines, scotch ale, wee heavy, etc.

table sugar has 46 ppg (points per pound per gallon). meaning if you add 1 pound of sugar to enough water to equal 1 gallon (the sugar takes up space) the resulting sugar water will have a SG of 1.046. if you add 1 pound of sugar to 5 gallons of water the resulting sugar water will have 1.009 SG. that works out to roughly 1% ABV probably a little less.

oh and the "grain bill" is simply the amounts and types of actual grains you are using in your beer.

Ok. Thanks guys. Good info here for sure. I hope nobody was upset with my question. I just an learning. I will probably make my first few batches as directed. I like uinta barley wine and know it has higher abv around 10.5 so maybe I will look into that for next round. This time I did an oktoberfest and it is around 5.5 but I don't want to change intended flavor so will wait you'll later to experiment. I just wanted to ask the question now so I could get opinions and start researching. Thanks guys.

I've used sugar a few times. It always came out really good. It really depends on the style and what you like. You might also think about brown sugar.

Using brown sugar is an interesting idea. I wonder if you would use less? I know in recipes if you use brown sugar it's sweeter and you use less...any thoughts or info?

Brown sugar is basically the same as white table sugar, but it still has some residual molasses in it. Table sugar is 100% fermentable, brown sugar is just a tiny bit less fermentable (like amber or dark belgian candi sugar) which adds a little flavor besides just the alcohol.

Latest posts

Back