Gravity measurements

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave T

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi - quick question on the tools used for gravity measurements - pros / cons

i use a triple scale hydrometer. Pro - cheap and easy. Con - fragile, subject to misinterpretation

what are the benefits of the other types in use? I’m getting tired of buying one of these every couple months. Seems like I look at them wrong and they break...

thanks

dave

I use a refractometer during the actual brew day. It's quick and easy to use and only needs a couple drops of wort. The downside to it is that you can't take a straight gravity reading on it once fermentation has started, so I still use a hydrometer for all mid- or post-fermentation readings.

Refractometer: fast and easy but as alcohol affects it differently than it does a hydrometer it takes some calculations to compensate

Densitometer: very accurate and fast but really too expensive for most homebrewers. Even the only "hobby" version available by Anton Paar is still quite expensive. Plus it uses Bluetooth and mobile technology thus giving no guarantee that you will still be able to use it in 5-6 years. Anybody remember serial ports on PCs? No? You get the point...

The Herculometer series from Northern Brewer are great - they are made of plastic so not easy to break, and offer several limited range versions that are much easier to read (and smaller increments).

The one I use goes up to 1.070:
Herculometer® - Precision Scale Hydrometer 1.000 to 1.070

I also use a refractometer for brew day pre-boil readings, and to gauge fermentation progress (with correction).

Back