Gravity change during lagering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smarks2327

Reaction score
I am under a time crunch on a lager (I know, stupid and my fault), and I started my diacetyl rest (which was just done as a precaution) at a gravity of 1.023. I let it rest 1.5 days, dropped to lagering temps, racked it to the secondary and then took another reading. I am only at 1.020. I have been lagering for roughly 3 days now.

I want this beer to finish attenuating the rest of the way, so what are my options? Will I get slow fermentation still during lagering (terminal gravity is 1.014) and be ok, will I harm the beer if I bring it back up to 50-55 and finish fermenting? If I do the latter, should I pitch more yeast?

Thanks for the help!

You might be at FG but if you think it might go lower get it to room temperature. I wouldn't bet on it moving much now that it's off the yeast cake. Always double-check your gravity before taking to lagering temps!

Latest posts

Back