Gravity = 1.020!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nwbeer

Reaction score
What shall i do about the stalled beer?

I have heard of this 1.020 curse.

I did use LME as my malt and the Gravity has been stalled at 1.020 since monday (day 7 in Primary). Should i rack to secondary and dry hop tonight (day 11 Primary)? or wait until monday (day 14 in Primary)? I doubt the gravity will have changed an iota by then...

Don't rack to secondary at all.

Wait until Day 10, then take gravity. Day 7 is too soon (even though it's probably done), but I wouldn't even take gravity until Day 14... but, since you're probably learning and what not, see if it stays at 1.020.

Dry hop around day 10 if it's the same... how did the sample taste?

Did you re-hydrate your yeast?

What was the OG?

What temp are you fermenting at?

When I take gravity readings I have been taking samples...purely academic of course ;) . The clearity is good, the smell is spot on and the taste is peeerrrttty darn good as well. So i cant wait to dry hop it and get it in bottles asap.

Plus! That way, it being in secondary will free up the bigger carboy for my next beer. But I can wait.

The OG was 1.065.
The FG should be 1.012
I used Safale S-04 yeast. (dry yeast) sprinkled into carboy.

Its at day 11 primary with a Gravity of 1.020. No change in gravity since day 7, The airlock bubble rate is down to once every 50 seconds.

Thanks guys

What are you measuring the gravity with, a hydrometer or a refractometer?

Next time, rehydrate your yeast. They need all the help they can get in extract brews. They tend to finish higher anyway. Good news is... if you tjink it tastes good now, just wait until it's done.

If you need to free up a carboy... then go ahead and rack. Just be careful not to splash the beer around (oxygenating it) and make sure your sanitation is good.

Good luck! Let us know how it turns out.

As others mentioned, I would wait a few more days.. and test again.
In my experience s-04 often finishes a bit higher than I expect.
s-05 usually hits the mark.
What temp is the fermentation?
How did you oxygenate?

If you want to try to get the gravity to drop a little more, try this: Take a cup of corn or table sugar, boil in a pint of water with ~1/4 tsp yeast nutrient. Cool and very gently pour into your carboy (like down the side, try not to splash). This can give the yeast a boost, and get it to take the gravity down a few more points. I've had good success with this method. Do it before you dry hop, if you do it.

Good luck!

As others mentioned, I would wait a few more days.. and test again.
In my experience s-04 often finishes a bit higher than I expect.
s-05 usually hits the mark.
What temp is the fermentation?
How did you oxygenate?

Exactly, what has your fermentation temp been? My personal opinion is not to secondary. If your ferm temp has been sub 67 degrees i would warm to high 60's for about 3 days then re-take hydrometer reading. The yeast will have a chance to "clean-up".
Patience young Grasshopper

Last edited:
The outside of the carboy is at 60 F.

I stirred the wort. Transferred it into carboy, poured in yeast and it shook and stirred while i walked the 5 gallons down the stairs to the basement.

- What do others think about the adding of the corn sugar? is it worth it?

K. the only way im going to get the carboy temp up is carefully walking the carboy upstairs.... is it worth the risk if im super careful?

K. the only way im going to get the carboy temp up is carefully walking the carboy upstairs.... is it worth the risk if im super careful?

You've just achieved 68% attenuation using LME and S04. You're good and it's not going to drop any lower. Just wait for it to clear and then move on to your next step. S04 is well known for floccing (dropping) out early and given your recipe, I would not expect much more out of it.

Do you have, or can you get a heat belt? (your lhbs may have one, usually around $20.00)
Otherwise, moving won't hurt the wort, might hurt you. :(
If you move it, be careful.

Additionally, I kind of agree with stpug, however under the right conditions I have achieved over 75%.

Last edited:
You'll be fine.

Either that or wrap in some towels. Throw like 4 in the dryer on high for 30 min and layer that sumnabitch up.

Ghetto temp control at it's finest. If it's on a cement floor get it off the floor itself.

But I'm thinking it wont drop much.

If i can't move the carboy I use a heating pad on LOW. 60 is coolish. You will benefit from a warm up even if the FG remains the same. If you do not have carboy straps hold the neck and bottom at same time.

I know that counting the bubbles coming from the airlock isnt a big deal and doesnt really mean squat.

BUT Psylocide!!!! I tried your ghetto towel trick I DID NOT bump or jerk the carboy one time and the bubbling went from 1/50sec to 1/6sec. I think it is safe to assume some of the yeast that was still floating at the top or in suspension has begun or resumed fermentation.

Thanks for the help guys.

For now im going to try and keep it at a warmer temp closer to the upper 60s and near 70. I may wait 3-4 days to take another gravity reading.

If you have any advice or any other thoughts on brewing, secondary, dry hopping etc. throw em at me. I really appreciate the help. I love learning from others experiences and learning from others mistakes.

I've used s-04 and us-05 almost exclusively. Agree with rousing up the yeast and raising the temperature so they finish the job. I've learned that us-05 performs better and now I only use s-04 when it's absolutely required.

I do not recommend rehydrating this yeast. Just sprinkle and play with temps. With all my beers I try to start warmer and end cooler.

FYI - I've been washing and re-using both of these with great results.

S-04 and S-05 are good strains..
I typically ferment around 64 degrees with S-05, and around 68 degrees with S-04.
Attenuation is close to what I expect. Lower temps, S-04 stalls.

Ok guys, I have got a couple more questions.

I warmed up my carboy for a few days and gave it a gentle swirl to roust the yeast. I took a gravity reading and in the last four days it has only dropped 2 points. I gave it another gentle swirl and doesnt seem like there is much more fermentation going on. Like i said earlier i know the airlock bubbling doesnt mean much but i have only been getting one bubble every 65seconds for the last two days.

Im starting to think stpug and jsprince (thank you both!!!) may be accurate in assuming i may not get much more of a gravity drop out of the beer. Being a partial extract and using S-04 yeast...

Expected FG=1.012
Current Grav. = 1.018-1.017 ish lol

-Think its time to transfer and dry hop?

-Got any tips on dry hopping? (this is my first dry hop)

+My recipe calls for dry hopping 1oz Centennial and .5oz Chinook. Should i just sack up and use the whole Ounce of Chinook or keep to the recipe????

Thanks again guys,
J

It's too late now, but my advice would be to never swirl/shake the beer once it's done.

And, this beer is done. You got a medium attenuation for the strain, using extract. I have had more than a couple extract beers stop at 1.018-1.020. It's done.

Let it clear a bit (due to the swirling/shaking) for a couple of days and then either dryhop right where it is, or rack onto the dryhops and bottle in 5-7 days.

Awesome.

Yooper its a privilege to get a response from you. I have read tons of your posts and I have learned alot from your responses to others.

I moved the carboy from a semi coolish room to a warm room and rousted in there four days ago. I havent swirled it in a couple days because i have feared the consequences now that there is less buffer ontop of the beer.

Thanks guys. I really like the feedback.

What do you think about the hops? Recipe wants 1.5 oz dry hop pellets. Shall i do 2oz or stick to recipe?

IsLiz. let me know how that Fresh Squeezed turns out. I love that beer and have been tempted to clone it.

What do you think about the hops? Recipe wants 1.5 oz dry hop pellets. Shall i do 2oz or stick to recipe?

I didn't catch what type of beer this is but the extra 1/2 ounce of chinook won't make a huge difference. If you don't want to have to seal it up and store it then toss it in. I think it will be a nice dry hop with 1oz centennial and 1oz chinook.

Awesome, thanks SubD. Thanks Everyone.

I actually just got done cleaning everything up lol.

Its a Stone IPA clone. I ended throwing the extra 1/2 ounce in. I think its going to work good. Just hope everything turns out ok.

Stone IPA clone (semi adjusted recipe) & 1oz Centennial + 1oz Chinook Pellet Dry Hop.

- Have some minor airlock activity going on after dry hopping, Ive been reading this is normal but still something to keep an eye on.

Thanks guys,
J

Do I need to worry about suckback during dry hopping?

Should I continue use with the airlock or switch to sanitized foil and rubber band technique? (that i have never used by the way)

I guess what I am asking is that if I am after aromas should i try and trap the air? or would it become stagnant and nasty? Maybe i will stick with the current airlock sailing with Captain Morgan...

Back