Grassy taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

straylight77

Reaction score
I did some searching but I couldn't find exactly what I'm looking for. My first real batch (where I did a boil) came out with a very strong grassy taste. I think it's because I got A LOT of hop material in the fermentor from my kettle.

I did do a bit of dryhopping, and from what I've read around here that can also be a source of grassy flavours (was 10 days too long?) I also wonder about the freshness of the hops - my LHBS keeps them in open bins in the fridge. But I'd like to know more about what effect(s) getting hop material from the boil into the fermentor.

for the record, my hop schedule was (all were in pellet form):

0.8 oz Northern Brewer @ 60 min
0.5 oz Cascade @ 30 min
0.5 oz Cascade @ 15 min
0.7 oz Cascade Dry Hop ~ 10 days

Thanks!

I dump everything in my fermenter and have never gotten a grassy flavor from the hops. how long ago did you brew this?

Some people report "grassy" taste from prolonged dryhopping at higher temps. I always dry hop in the serving keg @ 42f, and have no problems leaving them in for a month. Some like the grassy taste, some don't, it's all about preference.

Yeah, it can be from too much dry hop. I usually only go about 6-7 days. Like most hop flavor, I'm guessing it will die down over time.

I brewed this about 3-4 weeks ago. The bottles just finished carbing up. I just dumped the pellets in the primary (no secondary at all) which was around 60F for the entire fermentation.

Hmm, so it sounds like the grassy tastes are in fact mostly from the dry hopping. Lesson learned. I've got brew number 2 fermenting right now -- a Sierra Nevada clone kit that didn't use any dry hops. Hopefully that turns out better.

Back