Grapefruit taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dirk7728

Reaction score
So while I was transferring my beer to the keg, I pulled a sample off to taste. There was a strong grapefruit, citrus taste. Thought I'd keg it anyways. After a week of force carbonating, I pulled a sample to see where I was with the carbonation and noticed that the grapefruit taste was still present but not near as strong. Am I just dealing with green beer?

I noticed that in one of my pale ales lattely. It fades over time and becomes more pleasent. Pretty sure it's from the Cascade in my recipe.

I had this in my APW i just brewed with warrior & Amarillo hops. Grapefruit aroma & flavor were super strong at first. A few weeks in the keg, and the flavor will balance out smoothly.

A combination of Citra and Cascade will make you think you are drinking grapefruit juice the aroma is so strong. I think the grapefruit aroma is common to many of the hops whose variety starts with the letter "C".

Amarillo hops are grapefruity as well as cascade.

Simcoe + amarillo together really scream GRAPEFRUIT juice at me, especially when the beer is young.

"Citrus" flavors tend to come from hops, but also can be noted a bit in certain yeast strains when fermented cool (like S05) or a bit too warm. Some yeast strains will get fruity like bananas while some strains may get a citrusy note.

I stopped taste testing wort and green beer a long time ago. They just taste nasty, and really aren't much of an indicator on how the final product will turn out once conditioned and carbed.

I'm sure you're just tasting hops. Like mentioned above... especially if you used Cascade, Cenennial, Amarillo, Citra or Simcoe.

Gary

GASoline71 said:
I stopped taste testing wort and green beer a long time ago. They just taste nasty, and really aren't much of an indicator on how the final product will turn out once conditioned and carbed.

I'm sure you're just tasting hops. Like mentioned above... especially if you used Cascade, Cenennial, Amarillo, Citra or Simcoe.

Gary

I agree. Wort tasting always makes me worry and it's always turned out fine.

I used Hallertauer and Saaz, but I did use safale us-05, fermenting at 64 ish degrees. I've been reading and Yoopers comment that Maybe a little too cool for 05. Going to be looking into other yeast that are more suited for my climate at this time of year

I had a gluten free that I did for my wife and it was total grapefruit and really cloudy, I mean murky! I left it the keg for 7 mo thinking it would get better but it didn't. Or so I thought. I went to dump it an happened to pour some in a glass that was in the sink. When the foam settled and the rest of the beer was gone, I had a drink and it was a very drinkable IPA and clear. I should have pulled a sample first and transferred it to another keg. There was tons of sediment on the bottom that was still affecting the taste.

So don't dump it! It will get better.

Get an all grain full flavored ginger beer that finishes with grapefruit and you are closing in on perfection.

My last couple beers utilized a lot of simcoe and Amarillo which are known for grapefruit flavors. I gave some to a friend recently and grapefruit was her exact initial response. It's sooooooo good, I love it!

Latest posts

Back