Grapefruit Sculpin clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well this is not a recipe for those of you who viewed this thread. BUT I did have the pleasure of drinking some this weekend AND now I'm wanting to find a way to replicate. Anyone found clone recipes anywhere as I didn't have any luck on the world wide web...

Well northern brewer just released there version of this. Seems heavy on the chinook to me. This is the extract recipe:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/beerkits/GrapefruitPulpin.pdf

Well northern brewer just released there version of this. Seems heavy on the chinook to me. This is the extract recipe:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/beerkits/GrapefruitPulpin.pdf

I pulled the grain bill to put together a 10 gallon batch..Be interesting to see how it turns out. This is one that I think hitting the right water profile is critical to getting it to land in the right taste profile of the GF Sculpin.

I am also thinking of swapping out the Simcoe and Cascade for Galaxy. Galaxy to me imparts more grapefruit-y-ness than either of those 2 hops do on a dry hop schedule. Just my .02 though.

When I get the chance to whip this one up, I will report back on this thread though with the results.
:mug:

I suppose if you take the original sculpin recipe and sub in some galaxy you could get pretty close. Galaxy is intensely grapefruity, one of my fav hops.

I did this, using the recipe posted on the first page as the "original recipe that BA took down." I replaced all additions of simcoe with the equal AAU% of galaxy, and also added the zest of three grapefruits at knockout.

The result was amazing! This turned out to be the best batch of beer I've ever brewed, and I'm coming up on 300 gallons brewed over the past three years.

Fair warning -- I lost a TON of volume to hop sludge. This has a literal f*** ton of hops in it and it was made worse when my LHBS guy converted the Hallertau northern brewer AAU's (I made an 8 gallon batch instead of 5) using strictly Hallertau, as he didn't see my "NB" designation next to it. This resulted in slightly more hops than intended, but I'm still willing to bet most will have a ton of hop sludge volume loss regardless.

A+

I recently brewed and kegged a version of this using versions in this thread and others on Sculpin clones. I didn't have access to some hops, so made a couple substitutions. The results were incredible! My original intent was to only grapefruit half of the 10 gals, but after tasting the results, I'll be "grapefruiting" the other half as well. I did the grapefruit by zesting 3 ruby grapefruit and adding the zest to 4 oz. of vodka for a couple days. I then added the entire mix to the keg inside a dry-hop screen enclosure for a couple more days. The few that have tried it have all said they preferred it to the real thing (myself included, but I may be biased). Here is the recipe that I used for those that may be interested. Mine is a E-HERMS system and I used Bru'n Water Yellow Bitter water profile target. I also generally start with 25 gals of water and treat the whole thing. I use whole hops for the boil in a stainless hop spider and pellet hops in the secondary for the dry hops. I used a large starter of WLP-001 and fermented at 67 deg. This one will surely be on a regular rotation in my tap list! Here are the details....

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Sculpinish IPA / Grapefruit IPA
Style: American IPA
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 14.24 gal
Post Boil Volume: 12.74 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 11.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 10.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.071 SG
Estimated Color: 7.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 72.7 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 83.5 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
25.00 gal Garden Valley, Ca. Water Water 1 -
12.50 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins Water Agent 2 -
8.70 g Epsom Salt (MgSO4) (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 3 -
7.50 g Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 4 -
24 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 5 82.8 %
2 lbs Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 6 6.9 %
2 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 15L (15.0 SRM) Grain 7 6.9 %
1 lbs Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 8 3.4 %
1.00 oz Amarillo [9.70 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 9 13.6 IBUs
0.50 oz Magnum [14.00 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 10 10.8 IBUs
0.50 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] - First Wort 60 Hop 11 6.5 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade, Whole [8.00 %] - Boil 45.0 min Hop 12 9.3 IBUs
0.50 oz Citra [12.70 %] - Boil 45.0 min Hop 13 7.4 IBUs
1.00 oz Mt. Hood (whole) [6.60 %] - Boil 30.0 mi Hop 14 6.5 IBUs
0.50 oz Centennial (whole) [10.00 %] - Boil 30.0 Hop 15 4.9 IBUs
0.50 oz Simcoe (whole) [14.50 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 16 7.1 IBUs
2.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 17 -
0.75 oz Cascade, Whole [8.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpoo Hop 18 1.4 IBUs
0.50 oz Citra [12.70 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 10.0 Hop 19 1.5 IBUs
0.50 oz Mosaic (whole) [12.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpo Hop 20 1.4 IBUs
0.50 oz Simcoe (whole) [14.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpo Hop 21 1.7 IBUs
0.30 oz Amarillo [9.70 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 10. Hop 22 0.7 IBUs
1.0 pkg California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) [35. Yeast 23 -
1.00 oz Azacca [12.70 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Days Hop 24 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Mosaic (pellet) [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Hop 25 0.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Simcoe (pellet) [12.70 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Hop 26 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, 150 F
Total Grain Weight: 29 lbs
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 10.00 gal of water at 161.9 F 150.0 F 60 min
Mash Out Heat to 168.0 F over 20 min 168.0 F 10 min

Sparge: Fly sparge with 7.72 gal water at 168.0 F

am I the only one that thinks that recipe looks pretty far off from grapefruit sculpin? that hop schedule is a mess
also there is no way sculpin is 10% cara/crystal malts. No way

I have to agree. Maybe RocketBrewer's system is highly attenuative or has a low extraction rate on the specialty malts.

RocketBrewer: was that hop schedule by design or were you just trying to use up a bunch of left over hops?

am I the only one that thinks that recipe looks pretty far off from grapefruit sculpin? that hop schedule is a mess

Also in agreement here. I thought mine was close based on hydro sample but once it was carb'd it was way too malty/not crisp enough and the hop bill was definitely off compared to the real deal.

They've change the recipe of sculpin over the years, but the original definitely had more than 10% crystal/Carapils and the hop schedule has always been a hot mess......

They've change the recipe of sculpin over the years, but the original definitely had more than 10% crystal/Carapils and the hop schedule has always been a hot mess......

Hmm interesting. Ive only had it within the past year

Responding to sub to this for later, but also, I'm chuckling at some of the "OMG soooo much grapefruit" comments re: GF Sculpin. I finally got a hand on some recently after hearing west-coast people go on and on and on about this beer. I....yeah, it tastes like a clean and fresh / dry west-coast IPA with a verrrrrrry minuscule grapefruit tartness to it. Can't imagine what said people would say if they had a Traveler's Grapefruit shandy.

Responding to sub to this for later, but also, I'm chuckling at some of the "OMG soooo much grapefruit" comments re: GF Sculpin. I finally got a hand on some recently after hearing west-coast people go on and on and on about this beer. I....yeah, it tastes like a clean and fresh / dry west-coast IPA with a verrrrrrry minuscule grapefruit tartness to it. Can't imagine what said people would say if they had a Traveler's Grapefruit shandy.

Honestly the last time I had this it was not as good as I remember it being when I first had it. Not sure if the recipe has been tweaked since, but it seemed like it had a lot less "hoppy, GFruity pop" than I remember it having when I first tried it about a year or more ago.
Could just be my beer taste-buds are getting old.

Where'd you get it? It loses so much of its hop character and grapefruit flavor over time, and in my experience, it's not very fresh outside of California.

Gfruit sculpin>travelers. Just my opinion though. Every time I've had gfruit sculpin it has tasted like grapefruit juice with sculpin added to it. Almost too much grapefruit, but I love grapefruit so that's fine.

Never claimed it was a perfect clone, just that it turned out very good, and that I liked it a little better than the original. Mine seems to have much more crisp GF flavor and aroma than original. I based my recipe on a collection of recipes on this and other threads as well as BeerSmith cloud. I did a little tweaking of hop schedules and subbed a couple do to availability. If you research the clone recipes for Sculpin and GF Sculpin, you will find the hop schedule can be even more of a "mess" than what I used. As far as the Cara/Crystal malts, mine may have a slightly sweeter finish than the Sculpin, but not much. At 7% ABV it balances out pretty well and mine definitely has better head retention. I only shared the recipe here for others to use as they wish, feel free to post your recipe too.

RocketBrewer: was that hop schedule by design or were you just trying to use up a bunch of left over hops?

Most of the hop schedule was adapted from other recipes. I just tweaked it a little and made a couple subs. All seem to use mainly grapefruit character hops. I know it's pretty odd, but made a very tasty beer!

Where'd you get it? It loses so much of its hop character and grapefruit flavor over time, and in my experience, it's not very fresh outside of California.

I've heard that the grapefruit flavor fades much like hops and seems to be true as I have had varying levels of grapefruit flavor in the Sculpin.

Checked tonight, and there's no obvious deciphering of their bottling date. Live in Nebraska, so who knows. It still had/has a pretty dank hop punch.

Gfruit sculpin>travelers. Just my opinion though. Every time I've had gfruit sculpin it has tasted like grapefruit juice with sculpin added to it. Almost too much grapefruit, but I love grapefruit so that's fine

Obviously the Traveler's shandy and this are pretty different brews. That said, I've never had a Traveler's where the grapefruit had dissipated noticeably to where it was almost absent. It being a shandy, it is part grapefruit juice...but does zest lose that much in that quick of a time? I would like that much grapefruit flavor in an IPA (preferably with citrus-ey hops). There was a Lagunitas Fusion brew that I really liked in the past 4 months that had fruit juice added directly to it as well, where the hops complemented the fruit. (I could have sworn it was Fusion 42, but I can't find any info on it now).

I wanted to try some and today I saw two 12ers of cans at Costco (down the road about 12mi from the brewery) for $45. So I pooped one box open to check the date and it was 9/28/15 as I recall. Yikes! I gotta be honest, I really see a lot of dust on Ballast Pt products wherever I check.

I've got this on tap right now. Its a huge hit even with the non beer drinkers. Mine ended up around 8.5% because I'm getting crazy good attenuation with US-05 at the moment. Brilliant mid summer brew. If it lasts until boxing day I'll do a back to back with the real thing. :mug:

http://shop.brewtopia.net.nz/produc...cts_id=1134&osCsid=h6rdjfuhoqub166c1jv9ht1er2

Ingredients: Gladfields American Ale, Gladiator, Light Crystal & Toffee malts, Warrior, Columbus, Centennial, Mosaic, Citra, Chinook and Nelson Sauvin Hops.

Est OG 1.079 - Est FG 1.014 - Est BU 54 (Perceived bitterness will be higher due to grapefruit.) - Est ABV 8.1%

American Ale 85.3%
Gladiator 4.9%
Light Crystal 4.9%
Toffee 4.9%

Warrior 24BU @ 60min
Columbus 0.5g/L @ 30min
Centennial 0.5g/L @ 20min
Grapefruit Zest & Juice from 4 fresh Grapefruits @ 15min
Mosaic 0.5g/L @ 10min
Citra 0.5g/L @ 5min
Mosaic 0.5g/L @ 1min

Chinook 0.5g/L @ Whirl Pool 15min
Mosaic 0.5g/L @ Whirl Pool 15min

US-05 x2

Mosaic 1.1g/L @ Dry Hop 4 Days
Chinook 0.5g/L @ Dry Hop 4 Days
Nelson Sauvin 0.5g/L @ Dry Hop 4 Days

I had a clone brewed by @GrainToGlass that I felt was fantastic. Maybe he can chime in with a good recipe.

Thanks man! I got the recipe from searching numerous threads so I can't take all the credit. Mine attenuated completely and came out to 8.8% abv. Added a tincture of grapefruit zest into the keg. Turned out fantastic.

Recipe Specifications
Boil Size: 8.86 gal
Post Boil Volume: 6.76 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 6.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.060 SG
Estimated Color: 5.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 65.5 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 78.0 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
11 lbs Brewers Malt 2-Row (Briess) (1.8 SRM) Grain 1 80.0 %
1 lbs 4.0 oz Caramel Malt - 10L (Briess) (10.0 SRM) Grain 2 9.1 %
1 lbs Carapils (Briess) (1.5 SRM) Grain 3 7.3 %
8.0 oz Caramel Vienne 20L (Briess) (20.0 SRM) Grain 4 3.6 %
1.00 oz Amarillo [8.20 %] - Mash 45.0 min Hop 5 4.6 IBUs
0.50 oz Warrior [15.70 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 24.1 IBUs
0.25 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [12.00 %] - Boil 60. Hop 7 9.2 IBUs
0.25 oz Hallertau [3.10 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 8 2.4 IBUs
0.25 oz Magnum [12.30 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 9 9.4 IBUs
0.25 oz Centennial [9.80 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 10 5.8 IBUs
0.25 oz Crystal [4.70 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 11 2.8 IBUs
0.25 oz Simcoe [12.20 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 12 7.2 IBUs
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 13 -
2.20 g Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10.0 mins) Other 14 -
1.00 oz Amarillo [8.20 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 15 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) [35. Yeast 16 -
0.0 oz Fruit - Grapefruit (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 17 0.0 %
1.00 oz Simcoe [12.20 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 18 0.0 IBUs
2.00 oz Amarillo [8.20 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Days Hop 19 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body
Total Grain Weight: 13 lbs 12.0 oz
Name Description Step Temperature Step Time
Mash In Add 17.88 qt of water at 165.0 F 148.0 F 75 min
Mash Out Add 11.00 qt of water at 209.0 F 168.0 F 10 min

Sparge: Fly sparge with 3.54 gal water at 168.0 F

I picked up sculpin at a the local liquor store a couple weeks ago it was $18! :drunk:

But after drinking the sixer I understand why. It is one of the best IPAs I have ever drank.

There may be an all-grain conversion hidden in here some where: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/ballast-points-sculpin-ipa-228765/ but I didn't look.

Apparently this was the closest recipe but it was taken down by BA (maybe it was too close if not dead on.. that is why..) http://www.beeradvocate.com/forum/read/2318272/#2318703

Is there a living link left? This one doesn't work and maybe as you suggest was taken down. I only ask because a poster later in this thread said it worked or was able to view it

Thanks man! I got the recipe from searching numerous threads so I can't take all the credit. Mine attenuated completely and came out to 8.8% abv. Added a tincture of grapefruit zest into the keg. Turned out fantastic.

Recipe Specifications
Boil Size: 8.86 gal
Post Boil Volume: 6.76 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 6.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.060 SG
Estimated Color: 5.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 65.5 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 78.0 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
11 lbs Brewers Malt 2-Row (Briess) (1.8 SRM) Grain 1 80.0 %
1 lbs 4.0 oz Caramel Malt - 10L (Briess) (10.0 SRM) Grain 2 9.1 %
1 lbs Carapils (Briess) (1.5 SRM) Grain 3 7.3 %
8.0 oz Caramel Vienne 20L (Briess) (20.0 SRM) Grain 4 3.6 %
1.00 oz Amarillo [8.20 %] - Mash 45.0 min Hop 5 4.6 IBUs
0.50 oz Warrior [15.70 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 24.1 IBUs
0.25 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [12.00 %] - Boil 60. Hop 7 9.2 IBUs
0.25 oz Hallertau [3.10 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 8 2.4 IBUs
0.25 oz Magnum [12.30 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 9 9.4 IBUs
0.25 oz Centennial [9.80 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 10 5.8 IBUs
0.25 oz Crystal [4.70 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 11 2.8 IBUs
0.25 oz Simcoe [12.20 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 12 7.2 IBUs
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 13 -
2.20 g Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10.0 mins) Other 14 -
1.00 oz Amarillo [8.20 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 15 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) [35. Yeast 16 -
0.0 oz Fruit - Grapefruit (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 17 0.0 %
1.00 oz Simcoe [12.20 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 18 0.0 IBUs
2.00 oz Amarillo [8.20 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Days Hop 19 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body
Total Grain Weight: 13 lbs 12.0 oz
Name Description Step Temperature Step Time
Mash In Add 17.88 qt of water at 165.0 F 148.0 F 75 min
Mash Out Add 11.00 qt of water at 209.0 F 168.0 F 10 min

Sparge: Fly sparge with 3.54 gal water at 168.0 F

Can you clarify the grapefruit for me? It says zero. Did you only add zest in the keg? nothing during/post boil?

Can you clarify the grapefruit for me? It says zero. Did you only add zest in the keg? nothing during/post boil?

It was only a tincture for the keg. About three grapefruits worth of zest with 100ml of Smirnoff 40%/80proof vodka. I allowed it to sit in a mason jar for about two weeks, filtered out the zest, and poured it in. I didn't input an amount for the grapefruit zest, because Beersmith would've changed my grist percentages which I like to keep track of. Hope that clears it up!

Last edited:
It was only a tincture for the keg. About three grapefruits worth of zest with 100ml of Smirnoff 40%/80proof vodka. I allowed it to sit in a mason jar for about two weeks, filtered out the zest, and poured it in. I didn't input an amount for the grapefruit zest, because Beersmith would've changed my grist percentages which I like to keep track of. Hope that clears it up!

That's a huge help, thanks. I read to tincture but I'm still pretty inexperienced and I didn't know exactly what it was or how to make it. Thanks for the help without being a petulant asshat.

I did a 5-gal pulpin kit from NB. Hit things great but added some grapefruit zest soaked in vodka - plus juice from 2 or 3 pink gf to the primary for dry hop. In addition to the dried zest included. Us05 and 1.010 finish from 1.068-1.070.

Been 4-weeks in bottle. Sampled each week. Bitterness seems to be fading but it is very bitter. She is hot! It is well above 7%. I used 100proof vodka for soaking. Calling it grapefruit India pale ale. Get a GRIPA Beer. It is a get lit beer! Doesn't have the imperial IPA feel to it though.

It has very nice nasal grapefruit and some on the front end, but the overall is bitter like the pith of a GF peel. You can pickup the dry hop of citra/since/Amarillo nicely. It is so bitter I won't share yet. Beersmith says 73 from my recipe. I'm sure the fresh zest added some and the vidka added the rocket fuel hear?

Ballast point has gf sculpin here now. Will get a sample to see what I did wrong.

Latest posts

Back