Grainfather started kicking off GFCI

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4min33

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well after over 130 batches and 6+ years of service my Grainfather apparently has started to leak AC to ground. Both old and new controllers will kick off the Ground Fault circuit when approaching or at boiling temperatures. I have to assume this means the end. Anybody have a different opinion? Would love to hear if anyone could think of fixing this problem.

Did you check with a multimeter? Probably need to replace it. Or you could drill a hole and put in an element. I don’t think they are replaceable.

If the GFCI is tripping, that means either the Grainfather has developed a current leak, or the GFCI is malfunctioning. The "Test" button on the GFCI will let you know that the trip threshold has not increased (a dangerous situation), but not if the trip threshold has decreased below specification (which could cause nuisance tripping.)

Brew on :mug:

Yeah already fault isolated with separate AC lines, separate controllers
. It's definitely the heater element. Grainfather customer support is usually responsive, we'll see about this one.

Well I have to eat my words, I guess when I connected the original controller I still had the Connect box plugged in. Now that the failure is instantaneous, it was easy to isolate. I looked closely at the Connect box and the heater output is slightly melted around one of the heater output AC line receptacle contacts. The good news is I can still brew! Maybe Grainfather customer service will be interested in the FA.

Latest posts

Back