Grainfather on off switch failed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artichoke

Check out my blog; www.tophamroadbrewing.com
Reaction score
After completing the mash cycle and after sparging the full volume of wort, my grainfather heater stopped working. I Had to transfer the wort to my propane system to finish the boil, what a pain.

Anyway, after opening up the bottom hatch and poking around with my ohm meter, it looks like the cause of failure is the lighted on/off switch at the bottom. It’s open in both the on and off positions.

what is the point of this switch anyway, can I just jumper it out? I own the 120v version if that makes a difference.

Also, is it normal for the reset switch to be so loose and wiggly. I have continuity through the switch so it’s fine, I’m just wondering.

thanks.

- AC

My mistake the switch is fine. Problem must be in the delivery of the power from the controller to the heating element. Element seems ok measures around 9.5 ohms across it.

Back