Grainfather/hopspider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John67

John
Reaction score
Hello,

Someone uses a hop spider in combination with the Grainfather? what are your findings about that combination?

300, 400 micron or else; I want to use both pallet and leaf.

I use one. It's the Mangrove Jack brand I believe, but I don't have the box anymore and can't remember the micron size. But it works well for me because the pump is a bit weak and it keeps a lot of the hop debris off the filter. I like to dunk it in and out of the wort instead of just letting it sit there.

I use a spider sometimes and if it's a multi hop addition beer I'll use the hop tubes (400) with a string attached. Pull them out to the sides when I Whirlpool. I can't hardly get my gf to come to a boil so having the top cracked for the hop spider doesn't help things. One time my tube came apart and hops got in the kettle. Actually stopped the pump and I had to wand.

53BF0C4C-9B03-42B0-8347-6C91401E11B8.jpeg
3B58AB71-1E1A-4003-AD7F-6C8A1325D746.jpeg
5CE3AEB1-B2D9-4EF8-868A-901F99FB4B29.jpeg
Get a custom hop strainer from Aborfab. Thing works incredibly well.

This is 300 micron. The basket goes in during the boil to help capture hot break and hops. You can do a full whirlpool without running the risk of clogging filters. The 2” feet allow the basket to rest on the bottom without touching the filter or heating element (feet are on far outside of basket)

Yes, it cost me about $200 to get it fabricated and shipped. Honestly, if you do heavy hopped beers, this will pay its weight in gold when you don’t have to unclog stuck pumps or other problems while transferring to the fermenter. I like the open basket instead of a mesh bag because I get higher hops utilization (reducing the total amount needed).

buy once, cry once!

Why couldnt you use regular stainless hop spiders like these? (Id get 2 for hoppy beers though)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Grainf...967574?hash=item2f16dbd116:g:mYgAAOSw6JNciPEL

or https://www.ebay.com/itm/Brewing-Ho...=17373279736649c648b7d1554a62ba11690fee52c261

I use two of the larger sized ones when brewing 10 gallon brews at home... I experimented brewing the same beer with and without a hop spider and found hop utizilization does not suffer, in fact we use bags for hops at the brewpub and had to adjust our hop utilization to be like 120% in beersmith despite the bags.

Why couldnt you use regular stainless hop spiders like these? (Id get 2 for hoppy beers though)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Grainf...967574?hash=item2f16dbd116:g:mYgAAOSw6JNciPEL

I use two of the larger sized ones when brewing 10 gallon brews at home... I experimented brewing the same beer with and without a hop spider and found hop utizilization does not suffer, in fact we use bags for hops at the brewpub and had to adjust our hop utilization to be like 120% in beersmith despite the bags.

I started off with one of those but soon found out there isn’t enough room for 10-15 oz hop additions to properly steep. Brewing heady topper just overloaded the spider. I also really love the big basket because My whirlpool gets all the hop matter in full contact with the wort. Not saying you NEED one, I just love mine.

I started off with one of those but soon found out there isn’t enough room for 10-15 oz hop additions to properly steep. Brewing heady topper just overloaded the spider. I also really love the big basket because My whirlpool gets all the hop matter in full contact with the wort. Not saying you NEED one, I just love mine.
in the past other who have tried large hop baskets found there liquid in the basket never actually came to a boil in any system (I have never seen evidence of a boil in my smaller baskets either)... Do you get a boil inside your basket? I honestly doubt it has that much effect but since Ive read the GF was already kind of on the weaker side boil wise I figured this would effect hop efficiency more than using a bag and at the very least make the benefits a wash vs using bags.

in the past other who have tried large hop baskets found there liquid in the basket never actually came to a boil in any system (I have never seen evidence of a boil in my smaller baskets either)... Do you get a boil inside your basket? I honestly doubt it has that much effect but since Ive read the GF was already kind of on the weaker side boil wise I figured this would effect hop efficiency more than using a bag and at the very least make the benefits a wash vs using bags.

I use hop shots for bittering instead of early hop additions. I feel comfortable adding 2-3oz of loose hops for 5-10 min additions before flameout. I’ll drop the basket in with 5 minutes left and hit it hard with flameout and whirlpool hops.

Ill try adding it earlier this time and see how good of a boil I get. Should be brewing this weekend, so I’ll report back soon.

I guess it depends on the size but $83 shipped for a 6x14 300 micron is the highest Ive seen yet.

I have 3 of these in two different sizes and strongly recommend at least the 6x14" models... When I bought my first one from the inventor (Arbor fabrication) they recommended the 300 micron for pellet hops and 400 micron for leaf...
I payed close to $75 for the 6x14" and then a couple years later I bought a second one almost exactly the same on ebay for about $25 shipped like these,
https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-x14-Hop-...049175?hash=item4da274db97:g:VvAAAOSwxjxd9G1d
https://www.ebay.com/itm/BrotherBi-...hash=item3fcd1fe269:m:mwrbx6HXrW244f0bj2qoH5w

They both function the same way and have held up just as well... the smaller 4" one I dont use anymore... Its only good for about an oz of hops IMO.

if your looking for something bigger...
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/326...0.0&pvid=9f84f48b-0834-45ba-8a63-a3dd52cd2fd5

Last edited:
I use hop shots for bittering instead of early hop additions. I feel comfortable adding 2-3oz of loose hops for 5-10 min additions before flameout. I’ll drop the basket in with 5 minutes left and hit it hard with flameout and whirlpool hops.

Ill try adding it earlier this time and see how good of a boil I get. Should be brewing this weekend, so I’ll report back soon.
I know this is a few years old, but I was also considering a full kettle hop basket. Do you still use this and any feedback on the boil strength with the basket installed?

Back