Grainfather cleaning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RNBEERGUY

Reaction score
I have some scorch marks at the bottom of my grainfather that won’t come up will this effect boil how do I get hard to stuff off

Attachments

• 6D23A94F-0E63-4F0A-8D3E-B96F0313E3A4.jpeg
    6D23A94F-0E63-4F0A-8D3E-B96F0313E3A4.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 68
Barkeepers Friend. It’ll also take care of any rust marks that develop. Yes, it’s mildly abrasive, but leaving minor scratch marks in your hot side equipment really doesn’t matter. Just don’t do that on a conical.

Also, as soon as you finish sparging and remove the spent grain tube, make a habit of scraping the bottom with your mash paddle so there’s less opportunity for scorching, lowers the odds of the fuse tripping, and will increase ever so slightly the vigor of your boil.

I too have a Grainfather and I sometimes get scorch marks after the boil, but I can easily clean with warm water, freshly squeezed lemon juice and a stainless steel sponge. PBW is what I use to clean the Grainfather and the CFC.

Back