Grain to Glass Time with Closed Pressure Transfer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KookyBrewsky

Reaction score
Hello,

I just finished my first beer after about a year off. I had to adapt my super cheap ($125) kegerator score from Craigslist to fit corny kegs. The grain that sat was infested with buggy-bois but I carried on as recommended here. During my first ever cold crash, I made the severe mistake of not pressurizing my conical which caused a huge suck back. It's now chilled and carbonated. Not that great, not disgusting, it simply tastes watered down as I expected, I mean it was 1/4 - 1/2 gallon of sanitizer suck back. I will never put the hose in that big a volume first off, but also never cold crash without pressure again.

I now have my first organic recipe ready to go having learned from my mistakes on a batch that I was ready to toss anyway. With inclement weather, I have to wait for a sunny day to brew. This got me thinking about grain to glass time with a closed transfer? I know beer is not for the impatient, but I seriously cannot believe I have functional draft beer at my house. After the initial aeration, and dismissing any further mistakes, no oxygen will touch my beer.

Spike says using their carb stone the beer can be carbonated in about 24 hours. However my beer was pretty much carbonated after a few minutes of 20PSI and rolling the tank back and forth. I'd prefer to use my carb stone but I cannot hit serving temps using my ice bucket and water, I feel like I kind of wasted my money since I don't have a glycol chiller.

What kind of GTG time can I push on a darker beer?

Regards

Back