Grain storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mavrick1903

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
How do you store your grain? I'm at the point of buying base grain in bulk either a bag alone, or a split with a friend. Looking for input for storage to promote freshness and avoid pests. Thoughts?

Just bought some grain from somebody on here, package deal kept in "Gamma Vittle Vaults"...pet food storage container but lids seal airtight fitting both of your needs. Come in multiple sizes plus the big ones are stackable. Good for saving space. I must admit I wouldn't have discovered them myself.

I buy my grain from Morebeer online. I usually buy a bunch of 10lb sacks at one time. They arrive in plastic bags that I store off the ground on wire mesh shelving in my pantry. I have my own mill so I always buy whole un-crushed grain. The longest I've kept a bag before using it has been 9 months. Usually they don't last that long. In the one case that I did have a bag last that long I noticed no issues at all in the taste of the beer, the mashing efficiency, or anything else. Of course I keep them dry and away from liquids and moisture, but in general they are simply sitting on the shelf. In the bag they are shipped it, but still...on the shelf.

Many times these bags seem to exhibit a minor vacuum effect. They usually keep this effect for at least 6 months or more. After that, the bad may seem to slightly puff up. It has never puffed up enough to give the impression of there being pressure inside. If it did, I would be suspect there is something wrong. That has never happened. I've been doing it this way for untold years without a problem.

If you are talking about storing the grain for more than a year, then I can't comment. But I am confident that any storage in a marginally air-tight environment will be more than adequate.

In his book, Charlie P says the best way to store malt is to combine it with water, hops, and yeast and ferment it.

Keep it dry and cool. If bugs are an issue, occasionally throw a little dry ice in the container.

Back