Grain storage in PBW can?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldManHouston

Reaction score
So I've bought a few 4lbs and 8lbs cans of PBW. Seems you would want to keep PBW dry so it doesn't clump or something... would these be good enough to store a few pounds of specialty malt in? They are HDPE. Are they tainted by the PBW and long longer safe for food storage? I'm probably more worried about whether or not they seal well enough to be a decent option.

Thoughts??? Tried searching for bulk grain PBW to no avail. I know I can't be the first one to have considered this.

I'm sure they seal fine enough. I doubt anyone is going to encourage you to store a food in a container that used to contain chemicals, but...I guess it probably wouldn't kill you. What's wrong with glass jars?

Well glass jars would obviously be ideal... but I go through enough PBW that I end up with these free containers. I buy a few specialty malts in 5lb bags so they should fit nicely in the larger PBW containers.

I'm sure it's not the best storage vessel, but it's free. Just wondering what peoples opinions were. Currently I am keeping some malts in their original 5 or 10 lb bag, pressing out as much air as possible, putting a clip or twist tie on them, and tossing them in 5 gallon orange buckets that seem to seal pretty nicely.

Back