Grain Storage Canisters - inexpensive solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HBC

Reaction score
Folks, I bought six of these type plastic canisters today, for $1 each at a popular dollar store here in Indiana (assume they are national) called DOLLAR TREE. They are a gallon size, which means you can hold about 5-6lb or more of most grain. I find this size perfect for my adjunct grains like Chocolate which you might use 5lbs in an entire year.. I am heading back for 6-more- I keep about 12-adjunct grains on hand since my LHBS is about 30-miles away.

I am still going to search for the perfect storage container for my 2-row and Marris Otter.. might just be a cheapo 5-gallon bucket and lid.

edit

canisters .jpg

Exactly! I think it just might suffice for 1/2 year storage or so. Beyond that, grain starts to deteriorate a bit anyway.

Any store that does icing for bakery goods will give you their "empty" containers for free. You just need to clean them out. If you get lucky enough to get a chocolate container, well, you know how that gets cleaned :)

Folks, I bought six of these type plastic canisters today, for $1 each at a popular dollar store here in Indiana (assume they are national) called DOLLAR TREE. They are a gallon size, which means you can hold about 5-6lb or more of most grain. I find this size perfect for my adjunct grains like Chocolate which you might use 5lbs in an entire year.. I am heading back for 6-more- I keep about 12-adjunct grains on hand since my LHBS is about 30-miles away.

I am still going to search for the perfect storage container for my 2-row and Marris Otter.. might just be a cheapo 5-gallon bucket and lid.

edit

Nice find! A new Dollar Tree just opened near me, I'll have to stop in and pick up a bunch. Would be perfect for the smaller amounts of specialty grains I keep around.

For the bigger stuff, get a few 5-gallon buckets and pop on Gamma Seal lids. I can fit just over 20 lbs. of base malt in one.

Yup.. 5-gallon buckets are like gold to me. I suppose I have hesitated in the past to use them for grain storage since I use one for my corona grain mill base, another for the mill 'grain catch', another for my grain measuring/transfer to the mash tun, another for getting my filtered water ready for the boil...preaching to the choir-- they are invaluable. I need to wait when the hardware store does the $2.99 bucket w/lid sale and stock up. My bakery wants $7 each for the food-grade buckets.. seems to be the trend in the area since we have a TON of home brewers.

Latest posts

Back