Grain shortage???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimTrone

Reaction score
I was at my LHBS yesterday picking up some stuff. I saw they had a large shipment of simcoe and Amarillo, so we got to talking about the scarcity of some ingredients. He said the Canadian barley harvest was 90% less than the previous growing season, and grain prices will probably jump a bit. Has anyone else heard this? I'm not sure whether I should purchase a few more sacks, or if the guy was trying to sell more bulk.

Way wrong, if you google "canadian barley harvest" you will find a Canadian government document about it. 90% less would be big news, it was up 6% from 2010 it appears actually.

TimT said:
Way wrong, if you google "canadian barley harvest" you will find a Canadian government document about it. 90% less would be big news, it was up 6% from 2010 it appears actually.

That's good news. I had a feeling that I should double check before I dropped down money on more sacks that I don't have space for.

I know we've had trouble getting white wheat in the Midwest sucks holding off on a hefe for it.

This report from the American Malting Barley Association says in the first sentence "Production is estimated at 155 million bushels, down 8 percent from the August forecast and 14 percent below 2010, and the lowest since 1936".

I think if he'd said the harvest was 90% of what it was in 2010, he'd be correct.

Grain prices went up a LITTLE bit, we just did a grain buy at the end of March, I think our price for Canadian 2-row went up less than a dollar for a sack. Maris Otter and the other continental grains increased a couple bucks, I have no idea if that's harvest related, or transportation cost related.

So if they are jacking prices more than a dime or nickel per pound, they're gouging you.

That makes more sense. It's just the way he explained it sounded a little off. Their prices are still crazy low. Almost all of the American grains are about $1 per pound. Premium malts like marris otter, dingman pils, and weyerman floor malted pils are $1.70 per pound. Can't complain with prices like that.

Back