Grain Mills..... Best one, Why?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am on my third mill. My first was a nonadjustable schmidling mill which I sold because I wanted an adjustable mill. I used it for 8 years with no problem. My next mill was a monster mill MM-2 which I purchased in early 2008. I brewed 30 gallon batches, split with 3 other guys. I wore the rollers out on that mill in about 5 years but did mill ~800 pounds of grain per year. In 2014, I replaced it with the MM-2Pro with heat-treated 2" rollers. This mill is a beast and I think it will likely outlast me as I am back to 10 gallon batches.
I got the regular rollers, not heat treated, on my MM2 Pro. Checking the estimated service life on Monster's website, I calculated that, if I keep brewing at my current rate, they should last until I'm something like 94 years old. So now I have a goal. :)

I am on my third mill. My first was a nonadjustable schmidling mill which I sold because I wanted an adjustable mill. I used it for 8 years with no problem. My next mill was a monster mill MM-2 which I purchased in early 2008. I brewed 30 gallon batches, split with 3 other guys. I wore the rollers out on that mill in about 5 years but did mill ~800 pounds of grain per year. In 2014, I replaced it with the MM-2Pro with heat-treated 2" rollers. This mill is a beast and I think it will likely outlast me as I am back to 10 gallon batches.
I think your the first I've heard that had the rollers wear out on a monster mill. If mine lasts as long as yours did I'll be a happy camper. Cheers

I bought my first monster mill when they first came out. I wonder if the quality of the early rollers was not as good as they are now. I would have simply bought replacement rollers but they were not available in 2014. I wonder if they had complaints because replacement rollers became available in ~2015. They now claim their regular rollers will last 12-15k pounds. That was not my experience as mine gave up the ghost at ~5k pounds.

Back