Grain getting passed false bottom!! Help!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aModestMouse

Reaction score
so im using jaybirds false bottom in my sanke keg.. i recirculate till i get a clear wort.. usually 5-8min before i start the lauter.

regardless of having a clear wort i will still manage to pull grain into my brew kettle during lauter. I have no idea why this is happening. there are no gaps on the side of my false bottom.. i have a perfect crush on my malt..

my only thought is that my mash bed might be getting to compact during the lauter which might be letting some grain through..

if you have any ideas, help me out! this is starting to piss me off!

you don't have anything to worry about if it's a few bits of grain, if it looks like oatmeal in your boil kettle you might want to do something about that. just because your wort is clear does not mean your beer will be clear and vice versa. beer clarity depends on the boil and the chill not whether or not you have a bit of grain in the boil.

aModestMouse said:
i failed to mention i have conditioned malt before, waste of time and a mess.. same **** happened..

Very curious. Not that i thought it would solve your problem but i find conditioning both beneficial to wort flow and not messy at all.

i posted a similar issue last week with a jaybird FB. I was using a flexible dip tube and have since fabricated a solid one. I havent had the time to rebrew, but i think this combined with add a hose clamp on the dip tube just above the FB will help hold down the FB, I think my issue is that the FB was lifting up, do you think that is a possibility in your application?

Back