Grain Crush Frustration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrueDude

Reaction score
I did a triple brew day yesterday. When I was sparging brew #3 and taking the OG on brew #1, I realized that my grain didn't look right. Lots of floaters and numerous uncracked hulls. Long story short, the crush was not adequate and my efficiency suffered. My Stout ended up almost ten points low and the other two ended up a full ten points low. My volumes were dead on and everything else went great.

I love my LBHS. They are great people who I will continue to support, but it is frustrating to work so hard to have something someone else does throw it out of whack. I can't afford my own mill right now, though. Should I have them mill it twice next time?

Edit: I corrected a misunderstanding of what a point was.

A point as in 1.049 instead of 1.050? That doesn't seem like much of a concern. However if you got 1.040 instead of 1.050 I'd say have them run it through the mill a second time.

A point as in 1.049 instead of 1.050? That doesn't seem like much of a concern. However if you got 1.040 instead of 1.050 I'd say have them run it through the mill a second time.

Yeah, the latter. Brew #1 was .007 low, and brews #2 and #3 were .010 low.

I'm going to have a Blonde that will be around 3.4 ABV (depending on attenuation). I'm calling it Blonde Joke.

You can't afford NOT to have your own mill right now. ...but maybe you really can't afford to buy one either. Sure, tell them the crush wasn't good last time, and ask them to mill twice if needed. They brew. They'll get it.

So it is almost 10 points low. That is not great but now you can drink more of them at a sitting.

Time to get a grain mill. I have a Corona style mill that I have been using for 5 or so years. They can be bought for about $25. It has milled about 80 batches so with an average grain bill of near 11 pounds the total is somewhere near 880 pounds. My brews are fairly consistent and I never get a surprise due to grain crush.

I don't mean to incorrectly assume your personal financial situation but if you did a triple Brew day I'm guessing you burned through about $100 worth of supplies. $100 buys you a Barley Crusher with a lifetime warranty. I'd put off a couple months worth if Brew days and save for a mill. It will reward you in the long run.

Or as previous poster said, spend $25 and spring for a Corona.

I don't mean to incorrectly assume your personal financial situation but if you did a triple Brew day I'm guessing you burned through about $100 worth of supplies. $100 buys you a Barley Crusher with a lifetime warranty. I'd put off a couple months worth if Brew days and save for a mill. It will reward you in the long run.

Or as previous poster said, spend $25 and spring for a Corona.

Actually a Barley Crusher is about $150 with shipping (I forgot I got mine via promo), but a Cereal Killer does retail at $100...still a damn good mill based on my research. Doesn't have the lifetime warranty, but lots of people swear by it.

If you don't have the $150 to pick up your own crusher, it might just be a case that the LHBS does not know they are out of whack. Ask them to check the gap before you purchase grain next time. If they can't or won't, then you'll have to start looking for free shipping, but a good store would do it's best to keep the (polite) customers happy. There are plenty of suggestions on the forums here for what gap should be used for sparge brewing.

If you don't have the $150 to pick up your own crusher, it might just be a case that the LHBS does not know they are out of whack. Ask them to check the gap before you purchase grain next time. If they can't or won't, then you'll have to start looking for free shipping, but a good store would do it's best to keep the (polite) customers happy. There are plenty of suggestions on the forums here for what gap should be used for sparge brewing.

This is the plan. They are great people. The owner's wife was filling in, and I think she just didn't know to check the gap. My brewing mentor says I should be thankful for the sub 4% blonde and several people are excited for my "light stout." The Biere de Garde should finish great. I designed it too strong in the first place.

Just take a peek next time at the shop, and have them run it through a second time if you don't like the crush.

I got a Cereal Killer about a year ago for $100 and it love it. I get good efficiency and I can pick up grains for a couple brews ahead and have them on hand for when I have keg space/time to brew.

Sorry to hear your disappointment.

Truth is no matter who is milling you're grain, or whatever mill you're using, it is always prudent to closely examine a handful of the crushed grain. It is obvious with a close look if uncrushed kernels exist.

Good luck moving forward.

Sorry to hear your disappointment.

Truth is no matter who is milling you're grain, or whatever mill you're using, it is always prudent to closely examine a handful of the crushed grain. It is obvious with a close look if uncrushed kernels exist.

Good luck moving forward.

Yeah, I totally blame myself. Checking after the fact was a mistake I won't make again.

Get a Corona mill and move to BIAB. The increase in efficiency will mean you can do the same beer with less grain, often much less. The difference in the cost of the smaller amount of grain will quickly pay off the small price of a Corona mill. I've learned to expect upwards of 85% brewhouse efficiency (maybe a bit less for a high gravity beer) and with a high gravity beer that can make quite a difference in the cost of the grain.

You can't afford NOT to have your own mill right now. ...but maybe you really can't afford to buy one either. Sure, tell them the crush wasn't good last time, and ask them to mill twice if needed. They brew. They'll get it.

I know that at my LHBS that if you noted on your last brew the crush was off and you lost efficiency, they would be mortified and fix it. A lot of these guys are brewers and would instantly relate to the problem. I have to agree - they get it.

Back