Grain Bugs Everywhere

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelersrbrun

Reaction score
Help. I live in A warm climate, buy and brew in bulk and have an insane grain bug problem. I've scanned the web for solutions but I hope I'm missing something. Is there a product that will attract and kill these little bastards? I bought one that was supposed to be a pheromone glue trap but it was a waste of money.

Please help and cheers!

I have heard of people storing grain in a tight sealed containers. Applying a small layer of C02 blanket on it before sealing it. Thus, they can not breath in the environment.

I have heard of people storing grain in a tight sealed containers. Applying a small layer of C02 blanket on it before sealing it. Thus, they can not breath in the environment.

They have migrated all over our home...I can't co2 our whole condo;-)

Three days in the freezer when you receive it kills all the larvae. I do this with all flour too.

It won't completely solve the problem but it does help.

Three days in the freezer when you receive it kills all the larvae. I do this with all flour too.

Good idea! I have been randomly putting stuff in freezer and fridge, but should put all new stuff in freezer, then bump the older to the larger fridge zone.

As for tackling the bugs, I use various boric acid based products... very safe because it is just a physical sharp powder that gets stuck in their joints. However, it can be used as a liquid in the form of liquid ant baits.

To hit an area they are actually swarming in, I accidentally discovered a very simple and effective approach of simply spraying a cleaning fluid on them. Usually ammonia/soapy based, but the best is a handspray product for soap scum that comes out as a foam... everything dies within seconds of contact and even if you sponge it up, they seem repelled from there.

X2 on putting the grain in the freezer. You need to remove the food source and they will finally go away

X2 on putting the grain in the freezer. You need to remove the food source and they will finally go away

Freezing does work.

Once they find your food pantry, they will invade everything - cereal boxes, unopened bags of flour, everything.

I got a big thing of bug spray at home depot and killed them off. But if they are in a bag of flour, you'll just need to toss the flour.

Latest posts

Back