Graff

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

photobrewmufc

Make Mine A Smutty!
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm looking for input on using champagne yeast in a Graff. I feel like I might be better off fermenting the apple juice with the champagne yeast and then after fermentation blend it with the tentatively planned pale ale in secondary.

Thanks all.

*Cross posted*

Having done it once, I won't do champagne yeast in cider again. Dries it right out and I found it unpleasant. I would recommend an ale yeast and using DME and/or steeping grains with minimal hops to bring in the beer aspects.

Having done it once, I won't do champagne yeast in cider again. Dries it right out and I found it unpleasant. I would recommend an ale yeast and using DME and/or steeping grains with minimal hops to bring in the beer aspects.
Thanks for the insight. Working on a group homebrew with a style that's very new to me. This just reenforces what I have been telling them all along.

Cheers.

I agree with JKenshi, I wouldn't use champagne or any other wine yeast for graff. I've made a variation of Brandon O's recipe almost every fall for the past 5 years, and I have mostly used BRY-97, and I think I used US-05 once. Both are clean fermenting ale yeasts and I think that's what you should be looking for with graff. (Although it occurs to me it could be interesting with a Belgian or saison strain...)

Latest posts

Back