Graff - High Fermentation Temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScrewBrew

Reaction score
So I've taken some time off from brewing as two kids have distracted me a little bit. Yesterday I shook the cobwebs off and decided to brew a batch of Graff.

The temp in the house was 68 degrees when I pitched, and went to bed. Well it got warmer in the house than I expected overnight and when I woke up the house and Graff was 79 DEGREES!!!

I put a wet towel on the carboy and went to work, there wasn't much I could do at the moment.

I used US-05 yeast......what kind of trouble am I in for with fermentation temps in the upper 70's?

Banana flavored apple cider?

Yeah I'm kind of bummed. I was able to score some local fresh pressed, unpasteurized cider ($$$$) and would be a bit upset if I didn't end up with good results.

Fermentation is just getting underway so I will do my best to lower the temp when I get home from work.

I might have saved this one from becoming Vodka. So 12 hours after pitching, the wort was 79 degrees. I threw a wet towel on it and pointed a fan on it and went to work.

When I got home last night the temp had gone down to about 75 degrees, so roughly 24 hours after pitching. This morning it is now down to about 73 and fermentation is still going strong.

These temps are still too high, I prefer mid-upper 60's but I hope it isn't a total loss. US-05 has an upper limit of 75 degrees, so hopefully the fusel alcohols will be to a minimum.

Any thoughts?

Back