Graduation Gift - Trip to?????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lschiavo

This space for rent.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My daughter is graduating high school this year with better than 4.0! I am very proud of her and want to give her something special and memorable as a graduation gift. I'm thinking of a trip for her and a friend before she begins the college grind.

I'm not much of a traveler myself so would appreciate advice on a fun/not too fun destination for a few 18yo's (don't bother sending your address guys). I'm still a worrywart father so somewhere safe is very important.

This will seriously dent my wallet so I need some budget friendly advice. In other words, where would YOU send YOUR daugher and her friend on a trip?

That's a very thoughtful idea! I'm too much of a worrywart to let a pair of eighteen-year-olds go on vacation alone! :)

I bet you'd prefer it to be a surprise, but maybe you could ask her what she'd like to do before spending that much money.

SharonaZamboni said:
I bet you'd prefer it to be a surprise, but maybe you could ask her what she'd like to do before spending that much money.

You read my mind. I think I will let her choose (suggestions still welcome). I'm sure picking a destination will be exiting for her as well. And she may not enjoy that fishing trip to Alaska I had in mind;)

Are you considering domestic travel only, or looking further abroad? What are her interests?

Best summer trip I ever took was to Stockholm... beautiful city, very safe, great public transportation... simultaneously lively and historical/educational... one of the less expensive European destinations

Also, TBH, WDW is always a great, domestic trip... despite the fact that it is kind of cliche... just because they are teens, don't think they wouldn't have an insane good time... SAFELY... there are WDW express buses from the Orlando airport, stay on site at WDW in a value resort room so as not to break the bank.. you still get a great pool.. there are good, healthy food choices in the restaurant... There are inclusive packages you can get that are well worth it, and can actually save you money... room/park tickets/meals...

Are you considering domestic travel only, or looking further abroad? What are her interests?

Best summer trip I ever took was to Stockholm... beautiful city, very safe, great public transportation... simultaneously lively and historical/educational... one of the less expensive European destinations

Also, TBH, WDW is always a great, domestic trip... despite the fact that it is kind of cliche... just because they are teens, don't think they wouldn't have an insane good time... SAFELY... there are WDW express buses from the Orlando airport, stay on site at WDW in a value resort room so as not to break the bank.. you still get a great pool.. there are good, healthy food choices in the restaurant... There are inclusive packages you can get that are well worth it, and can actually save you money... room/park tickets/meals...

I am open to trips abroad as long as I can keep it in my meager budget. I'll look into Stockholm. I really would like her to get out there and see a bit of the world. I had a friend suggest WDW also. I will look into that as well. Thanks!

A trip to the employment office :)

That will come soon enough. She still has one summer left to be a kid;)

Actually she already has two jobs and plans to put herself through school. Of course, I'll be there to help when she needs.

Ireland, is a great place and relatively affordable. Check Aer lingus for a package deal.

Dublin is also a great place to catch a ryan air flight really cheap over to the main land for a day if you want that as a option. but be sure to book early

Me and the GF took a trip to Cancun this past winter. If its just for a few days then there are some very reasonable places to stay all inclusive. We booked ours through Apple Vacations and it included a taxi ride from the airport and back. We're looking at Florida this summer with the kids, probably going to be just WDW but we also considered stopping at Daytona for a day. That might be worth considering. It's been almost a decade since I've lived around there but I remember Virginia Beach being a pretty nice place. I know plenty of people who have taken family vacations there as well so I would assume it's pretty safe.

It has been 4 years since I went to Stockhokm and haven't checked into costs lately, BUT when we went we used this site and got a great hotel and the "Stockholm Card" cheaper than the same hotel alone on Expedia...

http://www.visitstockholm.com/

Our hotel was the one on the left as you look at the pic. If you were too look on a map of Stockholm and found Nybroviken, that's where it was. Short walk (10 minutes) to Old Town....

esplanadeacrosswater2.jpg

As far as WDW, it is easy to plan a trip on your own, but you can actually sometimes save money with a travel agent... worth looking into

If you want to send them to Europe, I would second Ireland. Relatively cheap to get there compared to most places and lots to do in a safe and friendly (English speaking) environment. Also, euro/dollar exchange rate is good. However, you can find some great all inclusive deals to Mexico for very cheap.

Ireland is awesome, I'm sure, not saying it's a bad idea AT ALL, but just saying much of Europe is very 'English Friendly' so that shouldn't really be a deciding factor in itself... Scandinavians, in particular, speak VERY good English... the entire time I was there (Sweden) I encountered ONE person who didn't... As an aside, I thought they should have used the original Swedish cast for the English language version of the Millennium Series, some of the parts were miscast in my curmudgeonly opinion... LOL

Are you going too? Sorry, an 18 year old girl is baitfish. I would simply not risk my daugther on my dime to go that far away with another 18 year old female. I'd never forgive myself if something happened.

How is she with alcohol? Have you drank with her? does she know her limits?

Sorry all, I've read too much and seen too much with kids on their own vacations.

I don't know if I'd ever be able to do this. I give you a lot of credit for trusting your daughter this well. We've already decided we're not even encouraging our kids to go away to college because of the antics that are usually involved.

We sent her and friend to Jamaica. She had a good time and is home safe. She's starting college in a few weeks. She's paying for my next trip;)

Brave...I would expect a phone call to go like this, I speak to her a bit then a man picks up the phone and says "Jo mon, you have a beautiful daughter, she be very fine, yes very fine indeed! I take good care of her for you, he,he,he " :mad:

Man walks into a bathroom at a bar and there is a black guy at the stall next to him. He glances down and notices that the black guy has a tattoo on his penis. He can make out WE- Surely this could not be the coincidence that it seems to be! He says, "Hey, dude, is your girlfriends name Wendy too?

The black man looks over at him with a puzzled look on his face.

The guy says, Cause I noticed your tattoo. I have one too! Look at my penis, it has WENDY tattooed on it!

The black man rolls his eyes and says, "Mon, I don't have a tattoo of Wendy on my penis. Mines says, "WELCOME TO JAMAICA!"

Back