Gots me a new kettle (haven't decided mash / boil)r

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpalme

Reaction score
Steel kettles make great step mashing tuns. The false bottom taken from my Igloo mash tun was compatible because I purposely chose a kettle with a slightly larger bottom diameter, so there was nothing extra to buy or convert. I love the handy built-in valve and thermometer, too. Now the old steel pot does double duty as a hot liquor tun or decoction kettle.
Next project is finding and converting a small chest freezer with an InkBird thermal controller so I can do lagers.

I see an owner's guide for the SS Chronical. Did you buy one of those, too? I'd love to have one of those.
It would be a good upgrade and replacement for multiple glass carboys sitting around. I have two 3 gallons, one 5, and one 6 gallon glass carboy. One temp-controlled fermentor would be safer and more space efficient. Twenty years ago when I first considered home brewing much of what you can easily find wasn't commercially available on the market. That was one of the big reasons I delayed hobby brewing for years.
Now I have a house and more time. The current deciding factor is how to justify costs while paying the mortgage and oppressive taxes.

One thing I noticed last night installing the ball valve is that it still seems to move some? I would have expected this to be rip tight. Anyone else experienced this? I used a socket to tighten the inside nut, but the outside valve will still turn, not easily It's snug but if you put pressure on it it'll turn.

One thing I noticed last night installing the ball valve is that it still seems to move some? I would have expected this to be rip tight. Anyone else experienced this? I used a socket to tighten the inside nut, but the outside valve will still turn, not easily It's snug but if you put pressure on it it'll turn.

Yes, my valve still has a little give. I hand tighten mine just enough so that it will not leak. Haven't had any issues leaking even though it wiggles a bit. Be careful not to overtighten or you might experience a leak.

I recently purchased a low profile spin cycle for whirlpool from Brewhardware which I installed in the temp port. I noticed that the locknut and washer provided made it a lot more sturdy than the Brewtech setup. Still, I have faith that the valve will hold up even though it has a little wiggle to it.

I contacted support, they asked me to double check it and make sure I didn't overtighten it; there just seems to be way too much give for my comfort.

I contacted support, they asked me to double check it and make sure I didn't overtighten it; there just seems to be way too much give for my comfort.

Understood. As I've said, I've used mine several times including a pump. I have not found any leak issues with its design as long as its not over tightened. I haven't seen a situation that I put enough force to move it. It stays in place the whole time.

Depending on your view of the trub dam, I have seen people swap it out with something else. One option would be to get a bulkhead from Brewhardware with locknut that should tighten up pretty good. Would just have to find a different solution for a pickup tube, I think.

It'll be interesting to see how it works when I put it to use. I will probably put a false bottom in regardless.

Back