got some amazing head last night. dont know what to think

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gagunga

Reaction score
I bottled my American Light extract kit beer a couple weeks ago. It should be done carbing. I get an amazing head but very little carbonation IN the beer itself. A few bubbles sticking to the sides of the glass, that's about it. Beer tastes a bit flat.

Meanwhile, I bottled an APA about 5 days ago. The same thing seems to be happening to the APA as well. I know, I know , the APA has at least another week to carb but as it stands right now, the APA has the same style carbonation as the American light thats been carbing for at least 3 weeks...I'm confused.

The American light and APA were both primed with 5oz of corn sugar boiled in 2 cups of water. American light had about 5.15 gallons bottled. The APA, 5 gallons bottled.

Here's a pic of the APA to show you the property of the carbonation (American light has the same exact properties, but 3 weeks in)

APA.jpg

How long did you refrigerate them? The beer will absorb more co2 when it’s cold. It takes more than a couple of hours . Leave it in the fridge for a day or two and then try one.

What temperature do you have them carbing at? You should have the bottles in a room about 70*F for 2 weeks, then you should be able to start putting them in the fridge and trying them out.

Temperature will affect this drastically. If you're storing them cold, it will take much longer to carb.

Did you cold crash the beer before bottling? If so, this could result in extra time to carb as well.

Depending on your answers to those questions, I'd let them sit another week or two at approx. 70*F and try another one after that.

Thanks for the replies. The carb temp was (is) right around 68F to 70F degrees. I have them at the same temp as the fermenting process, in my basement.

No cold crashing before bottling.

Let them sit for another week. Your yeast are active in there, otherwise you wouldn't have the head. If it's not getting better in a week or two, the only other thing I can think of is possibly a bad seal on the cap?

Your beer has such a big head because the CO2 is outgassing quicker than it should. That may be from having too much yeast still in suspension and giving the beer more time will let much more of it settle out. Since so much of the CO2 outgassed to make that head, it leaves much less dissolved in the beer making it "flat".

Your beer has such a big head because the CO2 is outgassing quicker than it should. That may be from having too much yeast still in suspension and giving the beer more time will let much more of it settle out. Since so much of the CO2 outgassed to make that head, it leaves much less dissolved in the beer making it "flat".

Thanks for your reply. Is out gassing a big problem with priming bottles? I just figured 3 weeks would have been enough time. Are there any tips to help the CO2 infuse into the beer in a more timely and effective fashion?

Latest posts

Back