Got a new pH meter!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slugtrail

Reaction score
So I was lucky enough to get a brand new pH meter and I was wondering if I should calibrate it before I use it or is it ready to go out of the box?

Attachments

• IMG_1024.JPG
    IMG_1024.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 169
Check out this epic post wrt pH meter calibration and stability testing. Totally worth the read.
fwiw, I use a Hach Pocket Pro+ and go through the calibration procedure before every brew day...

Cheers!

I'm probably getting the Pocket Pro+ too, trippr, based on what I've read from AJ and others here, yourself included now (didn't know that's what you use). I always used an Extech 110, though, and though I had to go through a few (QC is abysmal - the company simply sent me a new one, twice, no discussion at all...they're used to it), when I did finally get one that wasn't a dud, it worked well for me in cheesemaking. Have you come across the Extech, by any chance?

To add my $0.02, Slugtrail, yep, absolutely, I'd calibrate. And like trippr says, do it every brew day. I used to 2-point calibrate 2-3 times during a long cheesemaking day, to be honest. But that's probably freakish overkill.

No Extech experience - with any of their meters. Have been eyeing their O2 meter, though.
wrt pH meters, I've used a borrowed MW102 (unwieldy pita probe), then a Hanna HI98128 (fatally flawed calibration firmware) and finally the Hach.
Of the three I'd go with the Hach every time...

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back