Gosh Darn Winter Solstice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now that I'm home I'll make my 2 crybaby points:

1. If Kuhnhenn doesn't want people lining up retarded early / tailgating / etc before this release, wouldn't it make sense to make your most desirable bottle limit 1 and stretch it out so it doesn't run out after the first ~65 people? It seems like no one else wants to get in line that early either, but people are afraid of missing out on bottles if they don't and feel that they have to jump into the feeding frenzy...doing a limit 2 and running out so fast is just going to make people feel like they have to show up the night before, camp out, etc, and is adding fuel to the fire. I felt stupid waking up at 4:30 this morning, got there just after 6am and was number 94, still missed out on Rye Toast (peach icewine and vanilla gorilla were gone as well).

2. Kind of let down by the tap selection compared to last year...if the bottle release is going to be a **** show and take forever to fill orders, at least hook us up with some BBBW and other nice stuff to drink while we mill around waiting for orders to get filled at the rate of 20 per hour. Compared to last year the offerings were pretty scant...or maybe I'm just spoiled from living closeby, I don't know...at least now I'm really glad I went up last night for a few hours for some eisbocks and BBBW.

Oh, and not opening the tent at 6am as promised and having everyone stand outside despite saying they wouldn't have to was kind of lame too. I still had fun hanging out with everybody and got to drink some great beers, but this year definitely had some issues that I hope are talked about and resolved.

Good luck to everybody still in line, it sounds like they are picking up the pace a bit.

EDIT: Oh, 170...nevermind about picking up the pace.

Theory: These releases are a conspiracy. Bottle counts are exceptionally low (as the counts are unbeknownst to the consumer) and service is remarkable slow (in terms of filling orders) so that people flock to the brewery and drink excessive amounts of beer while waiting for their orders to be filled (or not, in the case of the bottles that ran out super-early). The brewery makes more money on the bar sales than on the lost services, and eventually comes out on top $$$-wise. We, the consumer, are let down, but at the same time do the same thing and come earlier and earlier each year in hopes of bettering our chances, but instead continue to feed the money consuming machine that is this (these) breweries.

Either that, or I'm way took drunk to be on the internet (most plausible scenario tbh).

Some guy had a possible heart attack in the tent.

Unrelated, I feel that even though it took a long time to fill orders, the staff was very courteous to everybody. Of course, that was my experience. Plus, I got my BB4D, so I'm happy.

For those that have tried the meads, how are they tasting?

Our group ordered quite a few at the bar. Looking back, the only ones worth buying in my opinion were French Toast and Peach. Mint julep tasted like toothpaste, cinnamonster tasted like liquified hot tamales and vanilla gorillabillly and manhattan project were nice, but not memorable.

The best thing I tried all day was the Spiced Peach Icewine. Holy **** that stuff was good. Had to get a couple bottles to go...

Our group ordered quite a few at the bar. Looking back, the only ones worth buying in my opinion were French Toast and Peach. Mint julep tasted like toothpaste, cinnamonster tasted like liquified hot tamales and vanilla gorillabillly and manhattan project were nice, but not memorable.

The best thing I tried all day was the Spiced Peach Icewine. Holy **** that stuff was good. Had to get a couple bottles to go...

Sweet, thank you for making me feel better. Had two meads last night that were some of the worst **** I've had from Kuhnhenn.

Some guy had a possible heart attack in the tent.

It was possibly #68, he was quite angry when he discovered that #70 got Rye Toast and he did not. I was 69(tee-hee) and I did not get Toast, either. So, I am not sure exactly when and what number they ran out of it.

I understood his anger but I fully expect this sort of wackiness at Kuhnhenn. It did not turn out to bad for the dude. though. They brought Bret over to try to make it right and dude ended up with last years's French Toast.

In hindsight, I probably should have played the "Hey, 70 got it and I didn't" card. but I was too tired to work up any fake anger.

I tapped it.

Instruction unclear. Penis stuck in bottle

Pics or nev..........no, forget it. Please do not.

Sweet, thank you for making me feel better. Had two meads last night that were some of the worst **** I've had from Kuhnhenn.

Which two did you have? Yeah I'm actually relieved I didnt purchase any meads after finding out French Toast and Peach were gone. Most were interesting, but not $20+ interesting.

It was possibly #68, he was quite angry when he discovered that #70 got Rye Toast and he did not. I was 69(tee-hee) and I did not get Toast, either. So, I am not sure exactly when and what number they ran out of it.

I understood his anger but I fully expect this sort of wackiness at Kuhnhenn. It did not turn out to bad for the dude. though. They brought Bret over to try to make it right and dude ended up with last years's French Toast.

In hindsight, I probably should have played the "Hey, 70 got it and I didn't" card. but I was too tired to work up any fake anger.

Yeah, I can imagine he flipped, but I meant there was an older man that literally was taken away in an ambulance. He was wincing and grabbing his chest. It was a pretty intense situation.

Yeah, I can imagine he flipped, but I meant there was an older man that literally was taken away in an ambulance. He was wincing and grabbing his chest. It was a pretty intense situation.

Crap, yeah I was just being a sarcastic ass. Hope the old guy is alright. He wasn't listening to Hall & Oates on his Walkman was he? I may know this guy.

FTowne

Last edited:
bear-playing-with-himself-gif1.gif

sooo, uhhhhh... how about that event guys?

Had fun Friday night slamming eisbock w/ Dunt listening to NOFX covers.....(eek)
Got a 24 hour bug Saturday sometime after dropping off my order form. Then managed to puke on the drive to, at, & on the drive home from Kuhnhenn for the holy trifecta. Still got my beer!

Seriously glad the taps in the tent on Friday night were flowing & not crowded at all so it wasn't a total loss for the weekend.

Yesterday kicked a pretty good amount of ass
Had fun Friday night slamming eisbock w/ Dunt listening to NOFX covers.....(eek)
Got a 24 hour bug Saturday sometime after dropping off my order form. Then managed to puke on the drive to, at, & on the drive home from Kuhnhenn for the holy trifecta. Still got my beer!

Seriously glad the taps in the tent on Friday night were flowing & not crowded at all so it wasn't a total loss for the weekend.
Nice to meet you guys and share some beer! We'll have to do it again sometime when bauermj is feeling better.

I went back this morning and picked up all the mead allocation that he people forgot to come back for yesterday. I ended up with:

6x French Toast
8x Vanilla Gorillabilly
12x Peach Icewine
2 cases BB4D
1.5 barrels BBBW
1 bright tank of Cherry Oude Bruin
But only 1 bottle of Forbidden IPA

Unfortunately I dropped it all in the parking lot then some fat guy pissed in it... Anyway, I rebottled it and it's all up for trade as "Kuhn-veé".

I was actually kinda glad that Vanilla Gorillabilly was sold out when my order was filled, I was able to try a sample and felt that the vanilla tasted too artificial. I'm not sure if they used vanilla extract or meads just don't lend its self well to vanilla, but I wasn't a big fan.

I was actually kinda glad that Vanilla Gorillabilly was sold out when my order was filled, I was able to try a sample and felt that the vanilla tasted too artificial. I'm not sure if they used vanilla extract or meads just don't lend its self well to vanilla, but I wasn't a big fan.

They used beaver anal gland secretion.

I went back this morning and picked up all the mead allocation that he people forgot to come back for yesterday. I ended up with:

6x French Toast
8x Vanilla Gorillabilly
12x Peach Icewine
2 cases BB4D
1.5 barrels BBBW
1 bright tank of Cherry Oude Bruin
But only 1 bottle of Forbidden IPA

Unfortunately I dropped it all in the parking lot then some fat guy pissed in it... Anyway, I rebottled it and it's all up for trade as "Kuhn-veé".
coffee-crystals-chris-farley-o.gif

Latest posts

Back