Gose and lacto questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redtab78

Reaction score
I have been reading about kettle sour process, and im a total noob to this but i read that you want an O2 free environment for the lacto, so after a quick 10-15 min boil, and i cool the wort down to 100, what is a good way to keep O2 out? Would i rack into a carboy, get the lact going for a day or 2 with an airlock or is there a way to keep the wort in the kettle and keep it oxygen free? I use a keggle for all my beers and dont have a sealable lid.

Just tossing up ideas on how i can explore this style some, thanks!

So just throwing out my 2 cents here. I don't know if I'm alone in this but usually when I make Gose I sparge directly in to a 7.5 gallon bucket (trash can actually) and let cool to ~70 and pitch a vial of lacto and let it go for ~2 days prior to boil. Never had any O2 problems or problems with other bacteria. That being said I think you could sport a piece of foil or something to just cover the top so stuff doesn't fall into your kettle and be ok. My lid is most definitely not air tight.

Most of the posts I've seen on this topic suggest using a co2 stone to purse oxygen from the wort prior to pitching. This is also the technique suggested by Mike in the American sure beers book. If you don't have a co2 setup, then I'm not really sure what the best method is..

If you're really worried about oxygen exposure you'll need CO2. Cover the top after you've pitched your lacto and gently shoot CO2 in to blanket the surface of the wort. CO2 is heavier than oxygen and as long as you keep it covered (doesn't need to be air tight) and gently replenish that CO2 blanket every 6 hours or so it'll help protect the wort.

FWIW I've never worried about O2 and never had an issue. I just chill to 90F or so after mashing BIAB (or pasteurizing DME wort), pitch GoodBelly (or other lacto), and let it sour with the lid on. Sometimes if I'm feeling paranoid I'll use some plastic wrap around the lid to seal it up. Always sours and tastes good.

Milk the funk podcast just interviewed Adi a week or two ago and completely busted this myth. My last two kettle sours I didn't purge and they are turning out fine. I will no longer be wasting the co2! Lol

I haven’t made a kettle or otherwise sour though I am interested in it. Thing is a gose is a really balanced beer, the flavors are apparent but not overbearing. There is nothing about a gose that is showboating. That’s why I think that if I was making a gose I might use an adjunct like lemon or lime to get that light refreshing acidity. Maybe even rubarb? To me there are 3 flavors critical to a gose, salty, acid, and malty. In that order and the salinity even though it is apparent is not over the top, so kettle souring is not in the cards because it is too strong of a treatment. Now I really like a true sour beer for the record, but in my book a gose is not that beer.

....so kettle souring is not in the cards because it is too strong of a treatment. Now I really like a true sour beer for the record, but in my book a gose is not that beer.
Kettle souring actually gives the best control over the amount of acid in the beer because you can monitor the pH (or TA) and then stop then souring process.

Last edited:
According to the milk the funk wiki on lacto, it's strain dependant. L.plantarum will produce acetic acid (vinegar) in the presence of oxygen, though it's possible that the kettle sour is done before that happens in any detectable amounts.

According to the milk the funk wiki on lacto, it's strain dependant. L.plantarum will produce acetic acid (vinegar) in the presence of oxygen, though it's possible that the kettle sour is done before that happens in any detectable amounts.
??:drunk:
Keep reading from the wiki:
"In a lab setting the conversion of lactic acid to acetic acid only happened when glucose was no longer available"
So, not going to happen for L. plantarum during a kettle sour. Not sure about other species; I would want to become familiar with anything before using it.

Furthermore, acetic acid is volatile (sometimes referred to as Volatile Acidity [VA] in winemaking) and is expelled during the subsequent boil in a kettle sour method. :) no worries there

It's the lactic acid being produced that we desire and that we are able to monitor and control.

Of course blending can precisely achieve desired results in mixed fermentation as well, so there's certainly more than one way to get the results you want depending on what steps you're willing to take.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back