Good use for lme

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CWood

Reaction score
Hey folks-

I've been an all grain brewer for 20 years or so and recently received a gift of 3 kits containing a bunch of breiss gold lme. I used the first container for a series of starters, but I still have two 6 lb and one 3 lb container left. Thinking about supplimenting a bock, stout, or ipa to make a big dopplebock or imperial as a partial mash. Does anyone have experience bolstering gravity with lme to make a big beer like those mentioned? Think it will work better in one style over another? I've been playing with beersmith and have some ideas, but it's been a while since messing with extract and don't want to waste my time and effort if I'm going down the wrong path. Thanks!!!!

LME is nothing more than concentrated wort. It can work out to increase the gravity of the wort you produce just as DME can. Since the process of making LME will darken it some, I'd probably only add it to a dark beer.

Thanks, guys. Might brew a bock and then add 6 lbs of lme at flameout to make it a dopplebock. I have a helles about ready to keg....should give me plenty of healthy wy 2308 to work with. Should put me around 1.087 with the recipe I put together. I usually use almost all munich with a tad of pilsner for this style, but we'll see how a pale malt extract works. I'm assuming it's highly fermentable so will mash the grain portion high. Will take your advice ncbrewer, and add at flameout. We will see how it turns out. Kind of looking forward to it.

I'm assuming it's highly fermentable so will mash the grain portion high.

If anything, extracts finish higher than comparable gravity of AG wort. Of course there are many variables, so you may find it's comparable, but many have discovered their beer finishes at over 1.020 or higher.

I would add late to the boil and cook it just long enough to sanitize. Make sure to turn off the heat when you add, and stir well before turning back on. You don't want it to burn on the bottom of the kettle.

I would also recommend placing the bottles of LME in a hot water bath about 10-20 minutes prior to adding it; LME is extremely thick at room temp so heating it up to 110 or so will help it flow easier when you go to add it.

I use it as an alternative or complement to sugar when making higher gravity beers or bigger volumes than I'd usually make. My system is sized to produce 60L @ 66, but 3 kegs at higher requires a dilution of a higher gravity wort.

I've also used it when making kettle sours. What I'll do is mash more grain than required and collect enough and dilute if necessary for a regular boil and then a second sparge of weaker wort for the sour. Once that is soured I'll do a regular boil of that wort using DME to hit my target gravity.

All good info, thanks guys. I thought I had a ton of starter material but it was a pain compared to my normal dme (heating it may have helped). Good info concerning the fermentability, just assumed it would be mainly fermentables and worth creating my own dextrins with higher mash temps. I'll mash as usual for this recipe. I've read a lot about adding it late, so that's a good plan. Milkshakes......yum.

Back