Good recipies for historical beers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ndhowlett

Reaction score
I was kicking around what my next batch of homebrew would be and thought about doing something with a bit of history. I caught the history channels documentary on beer making in the U.S. and saw that George Washington had a recipe for a porter. It's posted below.

"To Make Small Beer

Take a large Siffer [Sifter] full of Bran Hops to your Taste. -- Boil these 3 hours then strain out 30 Gall[ons] into a cooler put in 3 Gall[ons] Molasses while the Beer is Scalding hot or rather draw the Melasses into the cooler & St[r]ain the Beer on it while boiling Hot. let this stand till it is little more than Blood warm then put in a quart of Yeat if the Weather is very Cold cover it over with a Blank[et] & let it Work in the Cooler 24 hours then put it into the Cask -- leave the bung open till it is almost don[e] Working -- Bottle it that day Week it was Brewed."

Pretty hard to follow right, or make into a manageable 5 gallon batch of beer. It seems that we've changed our techniques quite drastically since the days of GW.

Does anyone know of a good historical recipe? I have a book that has Dogfish Head's Midas touch which is based off a recreation of beer found in Kind Midas' tomb, but was looking for something more American or English. Any of the founding fathers recipe would be awesome, but anything to add to my files would be greatly appreciated. I bet there's some neat stuff out there or hope there is. It would be great to re create beer the Indians drank, British soldiers drinking one of the first IPA's, ect.

yeah, i think GWs beer would be pretty awful.

Radical Brewing has some fantastic historical brews in it and just interesting recipes in general. Everything from Viking and Heather Beer to Gingerbread Ale.

I cringe every time someone mentions that recipe. I just can't fathom how bad that must have been. As far as historical beers go, I've always wanted to make a sahti or gotslandrika (sp?). I live in a Fin dominated area ( Michigan's U.P.) and feel like I'm somehow obligated, but have not yet mustered the sisu.

DeathBrewer said:
not sure on the spelling myself, but i'm sure there are recipes for those in Radical Brewing ;)

Yeah, I think thats where I first read about em'. I need to hunt down the filthy bastid I loaned that one to.

I think we've all heard of the historical brews, but none of us are, let's say "adventurous" to try them because (in our own minds) we (already) know they won't taste all that great....that's why we substitute and tweak.;)

I'm going with the TJ recipe in the link I found, seems it will be drinkable, we'll see.......

Gotlandsdricka is the correct spelling (for what it's worth)..

I've tried this stuff on two occasions (two different brewers, mind you.. they did NOT know how to brew beer.. only Gotlandsdricka). This stuff is like having a batch of homebrew where everything is done "against the rules"... Lots of sugar to boost gravity, boil the grains, cool overnight on counter and then only add a pinch- literally- of baker's yeast. Do not condition, drink without racking.

It's pretty bad.

Look at the december issue of Zymurgy, there's a great article on brewing a historical porter at Colonial WIlliamsburg, including their recipe...

I couldn't find the recipe posted but I did find a transcript of a podcast about brewing the beer.
http://www.history.org/media/podcasts_transcripts/BrewingandBaking.cfm

There's also a short video about Colonial brewing at a historical musuem in NJ on Youtube [ame]http://youtube.com/watch?v=mAU4bhjCB08[/ame]

I think very few things are actually "lost" to the ages, most of them were left behind intentionally. LOL, I bet GW's beer tasted nasty, but wouldn't mind trying some of his renown rye whiskey. I need to get that book Radical Brewing. I also want Jamil and John's new one.

Back